Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Chances at Top Schools - Tell Me Your Opinions  (Read 2417 times)

desi

Re: Chances at Top Schools - Tell Me Your Opinions
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2004, 10:39:07 PM »
Did I mention I can play the kazoo?

perhaps you will get URM status for this - under represented morons...

j/k.  everyone should have some enjoyment in their lives.  my enjoyment will commence around 1AM when I finally hit the club.

Cletus

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2004, 12:50:28 AM »
How do you guys calculate these indices?

Stanford's index is LSAT * .023 + GPA * .315 - 1.733

A number of schools ask LSAC to use a specific formula (like Stanford).  Those can be found online in your LSAC documents.  The title says something about "Admissions Index."

For Yale and Harvard, I just multiplied GPA by 20 and added LSAT.  This method seems relatively accurate.  My method for NYU was LSAT * .083 + GPA - 14.94

Thanks for that info.  But one more question: once you get those numbers, how do you know if you have a chance or not?  As in, what are their typical index cutoff?

Thanks again...this is a great resource.

Go find the school's index formula on LSAC and then look at that school's 25th percentile for LSAT and GPA and calculate the index number using those values--then you'll have the 25th percentile index number.

kristay

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2004, 01:24:56 AM »

Go find the school's index formula on LSAC and then look at that school's 25th percentile for LSAT and GPA and calculate the index number using those values--then you'll have the 25th percentile index number.

*sigh* things do NOT work this way...

You cannot assume that because someone had an LSAT score that was in the 25th percentile that that person also had a GPA that was also in the 25th percentile.  If one of your numbers is not as high as their median, you'd better hope that the other number is above it.

dr_draino

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2004, 01:26:49 AM »

*sigh* things do NOT work this way...

You cannot assume that because someone had an LSAT score that was in the 25th percentile that that person also had a GPA that was also in the 25th percentile.  If one of your numbers is not as high as their median, you'd better hope that the other number is above it.

When people recomend doing this, I don't think they're assuming that this is the 25% candidates profile.  It is generally considered to be a decent indicator of the range where they will not look at you though, so is helpful...if you fall below this number you're likely an "auto-reject" so it's worthwile to calculate.

kristay

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2004, 01:29:17 AM »
That is understandable then...

But I was thrown because Random wrte "then you'll have the 25th percentile index number"

dr_draino

« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2004, 01:31:39 AM »

But I was thrown because Random wrte "then you'll have the 25th percentile index number"

A number of people use this value as an estimate of the "auto-reject" point and the "75th percentile index" as an estimation of the "auto-accept" point.  I think the names just come from the fact that the numbers are for the 25th and 75th repsectively, not implying anything else...but what the hell do I know?

gidro

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2004, 01:53:14 AM »
Did I mention I can play the kazoo?

perhaps you will get URM status for this - under represented morons...

j/k.  everyone should have some enjoyment in their lives.  my enjoyment will commence around 1AM when I finally hit the club.

Ouch! that hurt.  OK now I'm over it.  Have fun at the club.

gidro

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2004, 02:06:16 PM »
Thanks for all of your input.  I think the advice to retake the LSAT is a really good idea.
Just so you all know, I have already applied at the schools I listed (except for Yale).  Do you think it is too late to retest? 
I now agree that Stanford is so unlikely that I will not be dissappointed if they reject me.  I will not be wasting money on Yale. 
I still have hope for the Duke JD/LLM and BU.  I would be surprised for a solid yes at Berkeley.
What do y'all think my chances are to get into UC Hasitngs and UC Davis and Temple? (Come on Totalbs - hit me with some more numbers!)

TLFKARG

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2004, 08:44:39 PM »

A number of people use this value as an estimate of the "auto-reject" point and the "75th percentile index" as an estimation of the "auto-accept" point.  I think the names just come from the fact that the numbers are for the 25th and 75th repsectively, not implying anything else...but what the hell do I know?
A lot of the top schools don't have "auto admits."

DOWNY COOLEY

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2004, 12:01:00 AM »
This thread is a great magnet for stupidity.

STFU all of you shallow fu_king retards. None of you are impressing anyone. You only make yourselves look stupid.....on second thought, please carry on.

HTH