Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: SCALE program at Southwestern  (Read 925 times)

ucsblaw8

• Jammin' in SB
    • View Profile
SCALE program at Southwestern
« on: November 12, 2004, 04:59:59 AM »
Has anyone heard of Southwesterns SCALE (Southwestern's Approach to Legal Education) program? It is a 2 year JD program that "utilizes simulated client files and externships to develop practical lawyering skills". Does this sound like a decent program to you all? Do you think hiring firms would look down on this or actually like the fact that a 3 year program was completed in 2 years? Also, does anyone know if it is harder to get into the SCALE program or easier compared to the regular FT?

peace
shine on

debstar

Re: SCALE program at Southwestern
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2004, 05:11:09 AM »
ok, one of my close friends was in SCALE and just to give you an idea of how difficult it is, i didn't see the girl for the entire 2 years she was in it.  i'm not trying to say SCALE is good or bad but you should really think about what you're getting yourself into.  SCALE is basically 3 yeasr of law school condensed into 2 years with no vacations, breaks, etc.  My friend said that as she finished her 1st semester finals, her professor was handing out homework at the door as the students left.  but she survived and is now working for the public defender's office in l.a. 

in terms of its difficulty in getting in, i would say that if you show a genuine interest in the SCALE program, they are more likely to accept you over the regular.  this is because not as many people apply for SCALE as the regular program so there's less competition in numbers.  if you exprses sincere desire to partake in this program, i think they would take you on because so many of the SCALE participants drop out after the 1st semester because they realize they can't handle it.

eek.. thinking about a 2yr jd program gives me the heebie jeebies..  :o

ucsblaw8

• Jammin' in SB
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2004, 05:33:58 AM »
I cant imagine doing a 3yr JD in 2yrs either, but my numbers are so crappy that I'm looking for any backdoor way of getting in. I read one of your previous threads about in-state and out-of-state, I think we have more in common than we thought. Just cuz you dont like Swingers doesnt mean we cant be friends :). I would love to get into a UC myself, but it seems nearly impossible. Damn UC schools and their low tuition costs and great educational value all located in wonderful environments (with the exception of Davis- Im not a huge fan of cows)

BTW- Swingers is not about being a Neanderthal. It's about friends looking out for one another in a time of need.

Oh, before I forget, where are you applying to out of state. I'm from SoCal too and I am having a hard time choosing schools outside of CA other than NY, MA, IL
shine on

debstar

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2004, 05:40:42 AM »
i will be your friend despite the fact that i haven't seen swingers :D  yeah, uc schools suck.  it doesn't help that the governator raised tuition up the wazoo either.  out of all the uc schools, i'd prefer to get into davis cuz it just seems like the best learning environment.  i'm ready to get out of l.a. for a bit, unlike you - you were probably basking in the warm sb sunshine for 4 years, frolicking on the beach. 

i haven't defined my list of schools yet cuz i'm taking the dec lsat and am going to see what i get before i shoot my sorry application to some top tier school.  as of now though, the non-cali schools i'm looking at are american, wake forest (seems like a nice environment), temple, cardozo, gw, fordham.  i'm a big fan of dc and ny so if not cali, then i woudln't mind freezing my butt off there for a few years.

Doubledown Trent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2004, 05:43:16 AM »
Don't believe her, USC.  Not only did she say that American is a TTT, she also went to UCLA and talks trash about USC all the time.
There are no stupid questions - just stupid people who ask questions.
Attending in the fall: GW

ucsblaw8

• Jammin' in SB
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2004, 05:48:41 AM »
 ;D

I am actually applying to American so I hope its not considered a TTT
shine on

ucsblaw8

• Jammin' in SB
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2004, 05:49:42 AM »
oh and before I forget, I never went to USC, I went to UCSB in Santa Barbara
shine on

debstar

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2004, 05:50:46 AM »
ok sweetie, for your dyslexic information, it's UCSB not USC.  maybe if you'd stop thinking about boobage for a minute, you'd be able to read the screen correctly.  

and maybe i said american is ttt because it IS! don't be mad cuz you got rejected from ucla.

Doubledown Trent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2004, 05:55:34 AM »
Whatever, Debstar. I never even applied to UCLA.  I heard that there are girls there who hate on other schools. 
[quote
and maybe i said american is third tier toilet because it IS! don't be mad cuz you got rejected from ucla.

See, this is what I mean.  USC, I think that American is a fine school and you'll have a good experience there.  Don't let Debstar's negativity get to you.  Otherwise, the terrorists will have won.
There are no stupid questions - just stupid people who ask questions.
Attending in the fall: GW

debstar

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2004, 06:02:55 AM »
USC, I think that American is a fine school and you'll have a good experience there.  Don't let Debstar's negativity get to you.  Otherwise, the terrorists will have won.

its UCSB not USC!!!! there IS a difference you know.  i know you dc elitists think that all californians are the same but we're not.

american really is a fine school (except that trent went there but we can overlook that) and i hope i get in.  :-\