Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Part-time apps?  (Read 666 times)

ucsblaw8

• Jammin' in SB
    • View Profile
Part-time apps?
« on: November 12, 2004, 03:24:02 AM »
Since this site has become the most helpful tool through my application process I thought I would call upon you all for help once again. My scores are not too great 2.81 GPA and my diags for the LSAT have been on average 160. I have stong LOR's and majors in Biology and Psychology (psych GPA is 3.92) I really messed up first few years with Bio. I also have an Education minor (minor GPA 3.88). I do not plan on working while in Law School but it seems as though I have a better shot at most schools (i.e Loyola-Chicago and Loyola in LA as well as many other schools. I was wondering if anyone has any advice on whether I should apply for part-time or not although I will not be working while at school? Do recruiters look down at the fact that I did not work as a part-timer or is that information irrelevant if my scores are good?

Help me out people, I am lost.

Peace
shine on

ucsblaw8

• Jammin' in SB
    • View Profile
Re: Part-time apps?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2004, 03:26:24 AM »
please ignore the fact that my previous post is difficult to understand I accidentally deleted a sentence.
shine on

Doubledown Trent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2004, 03:34:10 AM »
From what I understand, most schools want you to have a good reason for applying part-time.  You can't make it look like you're only applying PT to have a better chance of getting in, and if you're not working then that's how it will look.  Don't worry too much about what the recruiters will think because you should try to transfer to FT after a year anyway.
There are no stupid questions - just stupid people who ask questions.
Attending in the fall: GW

ucsblaw8

• Jammin' in SB
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2004, 03:46:48 AM »
From what I understand, most schools want you to have a good reason for applying part-time.  You can't make it look like you're only applying PT to have a better chance of getting in, and if you're not working then that's how it will look.  Don't worry too much about what the recruiters will think because you should try to transfer to FT after a year anyway.

Thanks for the info, but how can I convince them that I have a good reason? Should I include this in my PS or an addendum? I guess the problem is that you can't apply for both part-time and full-time for the same school, that would make things alot easier.
shine on

Doubledown Trent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2004, 03:53:01 AM »
Hmm, I don't mean to come across as rude, but it doesn't sound like you have a good reason.  Some schools will request that you cover this in your PS, and I think that's a good idea.  Usually, people go PT because they already have a job they don't want to leave.  Maybe you could make up a story about how you HAVE to work for financial reasons so you can only go PT.  Unless you have a legit reason already - do you?

ucsblaw8

• Jammin' in SB
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2004, 03:58:25 AM »
Nope, I don't have a legit reason, and you don't sound rude. I just want to increase my chances at some schools my GPA is really hurting me. I just don't want to ruin my apps for certain schools that are reasonable for me to get in (~30-40% chance) if I apply part-time and they reject me cuz I have no legit reason. Guess I could just put in something in my PS about financial reasons but it would really throw off the flow of my paper. I would rather do an addendum, do you think that would be sufficient?
shine on

ucsblaw8

• Jammin' in SB
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2004, 04:03:01 AM »
BTW Swingers rules, your advice is so F@#$ing money you don't even know it
shine on

Doubledown Trent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2004, 04:04:59 AM »
I think an addendum would be fine.  But be careful, the admin people must see tons of explanations for why they're applying for PT so they should be pretty good at sniffing out BS.  Also, check to see what % of students are PT.  If it's high, they may be more forgiving since they're obviously looking to fill all those slots.  I don't think your PS or addendum will matter that much in the end, though.  I'm convinced it's all about the numbers and they just make us write this stuff to make it seem like they care about the whole application.

"You're like bear, with these claws, and you're thinking how am I gonna kill the bunny.  You're poking at it and thinking how am I gonna get in PT."

ucsblaw8

• Jammin' in SB
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2004, 04:08:53 AM »
Thanks DDT, I think I'm going to apply to my out of state schools as PT and in-state as FT. I don't want to take the chance that they sniff out the BS in my letter.

After this whole thing is over, after LSATs, Apps and all the crap that goes along with it I need to hit up "Vegas baby, Vegas!"

Thanks again for the help.
shine on

ucsblaw8

• Jammin' in SB
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2004, 04:10:05 AM »
I didn't write "darn" they put that in instead of sh*t, those bastards
shine on