Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Launch applications with 2 LORs or wait 2-3 weeks for another LOR?  (Read 592 times)

UofIEng

Re: Launch applications with 2 LORs or wait 2-3 weeks for another LOR?
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2004, 02:24:53 PM »
Midlife,

I would definitely go ahead and send. At this point I believe its best to get your files reviewed ASAP. Besides, LORs aren't going to weigh so heavily on an applicant who has been away from school as long as you have. Your WE will be much more important. The third letter definitely won't hurt, but its better to get what you have sent out now so your application is done before thanksgiving.

Nice to see some other UIUC engrs on this board! Good luck!

Hello fellow UIUC Engr and thanks for the sensible advice.  I am indeed getting several apps out today, and including an addendum asking adcomms to await my 3rd letter (from a former boss).  I had a great experience at UIUC, but I'm not applying there for law school as would seem too strange to return after all these years.  One of my recent challenges was explaning an alchohol-related incident with the uni cops that landed me on social probation.  Fortunately, it was expunged prior to graduation.  Thanks again and good luck.

LOL.  Wow, my thoughts exactly on U of I.  I can't be here another 3 years either, especially in a mindset for law school.  I've done/seen too much stupid, hilarious, drunk *&^% here.  Funny you should have an alcohol related issue, I have a few to explain myself.  Only, I haven't graduated yet so its still a glaring black mark on my application.  I weaseled my way out of social probation though, getting warnings instead.  Damn the University Police anyway.  What did you do if you don't mind me asking?  I'm sure I'd get a good laugh, stories from alumni are so much crazier than the watered-down way things seem to be now.

seankenn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2004, 03:50:57 PM »
Just remember to double check that any schools don't only accept 2 LOR's.  I overlooked this and it ended up coming up and biting me in the ass.  Just be extra sure before transmitting the first two.  Otherwise, go for it.

midlife catharsis

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2004, 11:52:12 PM »
UofIengr- We "entered" the Auditorium (after a night of binging and trying to find willing coeds) while under major renovation (circa 1984/5), climbed scafolding until vertigo set in, exited with various "souvenirs" like a shop light and water cooler, and ran back to our ttt dorm (FAR).  One of the three of us (not me) was caught and ratted out the other two.  I got a call a week later from Uni cops, and had to face the head of student discipline named Richard Justice (no joke). He was a tall man with a huge gut and full beard.

The standard line was, "male private part justice before Justice dicks you."  Wow, those were the days... 

UofIEng

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2004, 02:20:22 AM »
UofIengr- We "entered" the Auditorium (after a night of binging and trying to find willing coeds) while under major renovation (circa 1984/5), climbed scafolding until vertigo set in, exited with various "souvenirs" like a shop light and water cooler, and ran back to our third tier toilet dorm (FAR).  One of the three of us (not me) was caught and ratted out the other two.  I got a call a week later from Uni cops, and had to face the head of student discipline named Richard Justice (no joke). He was a tall man with a huge gut and full beard.

The standard line was, "male private part justice before Justice dicks you."  Wow, those were the days... 

LOL!  I know EXACTLY who you're talking about!  Richard Justice was the head dean of student discipline when you were in school?  He's still here, and its still a running joke among students when they get reprimanded by male private part Justice.  There couldn't be a more perfect name for a dean of discipline!