Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Any thoughts on Baylor?  (Read 1193 times)

jhusser

Any thoughts on Baylor?
« on: November 11, 2004, 09:57:57 PM »
What are your thoughts on Baylor?  I have heard the litigation program is top notch.  Also, I have heard its facilities are outstanding.  I have heard some negative things about Waco and Baylor's Baptist conservatism.  Does anyone think its ranking as most competitive law school by the Princeton Review is appropriate?  It seems that the Princeton Review's methodology was too subjective; as a result, its competitiveness may be exagerrated.  I doubt it being more difficult than Harvard, Yale, Stanford, etc. What about Baylor being called "the Marine Corps of Law Schools?"  Also, it is possible to graduate Baylor in 27 months and begin in the Summer, Spring, or Fall.  This could allow a student to graduate an effective year before they would at other law schools.  Obviously this would have benefits in reducing financial costs as well as opportunity costs in foregone wages. As I am seriously considering Baylor, any comments would be appreciated. 

chicago

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.84 | 162
    • View Profile
Re: Any thoughts on Baylor?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2004, 03:59:23 AM »
no answers, but I'm also interested in this topic.... just got accepted to Baylor...

scc

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2004, 04:11:13 AM »
What are your thoughts on Baylor?  I have heard the litigation program is top notch.  Also, I have heard its facilities are outstanding.  I have heard some negative things about Waco and Baylor's Baptist conservatism.  Does anyone think its ranking as most competitive law school by the Princeton Review is appropriate? 

There was another thread talking about Baylor, but yes, it is supposed to be super competitive, and they work you equally hard all three years.  But you come out of it a tough lawyer.  Also, you have to remember that Yale and I think Stanford don't grade, so it doesn't have the same sort of competitive environment.  And students at Harvard know that they'll probably get a good job regardless of rank.

I don't know about the other details.

KittenWithStix

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2004, 08:40:43 AM »
I can't comment on the law school, but Baylor UG is very conservative and very Baptist.  Waco is the typical small college town, not considered to be a hot spot by any stretch of the imagination.  However, it is located on Interstate 35 about half-way between Dallas and Austin so you can get to a decent city relatively easily.
DING! Ok, Peruna, back to the barn....

vagrant

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2004, 08:50:46 AM »
the son of a woman I know went there on a big scholarship.  One of the professors pulled him aside at the start of the semester and out of the blue told him that he knew who he was (scholarship winner) and that he (the professor) was going to break him.  He commenced treating this kid like crap the rest of the semester.  The prof didn't even know the guy, just assumed he must be a big shot because he got a scholarship, and started going after him.

I think they really earn that reputation.

dubris

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2004, 10:53:30 AM »
I can't comment on the law school, but Baylor UG is very conservative and very Baptist.  Waco is the typical small college town, not considered to be a hot spot by any stretch of the imagination.  However, it is located on Interstate 35 about half-way between Dallas and Austin so you can get to a decent city relatively easily.

If a city's best quality is that its within driving distance of two other cities, then that city is a T.T.T.

camelbx

• 164/2.95
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2004, 11:02:20 AM »
Ok a couple of things....

I'm a 2Q at Baylor and let me tell you the guy above talking about "breaking" that guy above is total BS. Almost everyone here is on a large scholarship and no one "breaks" anyone.

That being said its very competitive, you have to stand up when cold-called the professors are kind of hard asses and the school is very small so you know everyone.

If you want to know anything specific email me at camelbx@hotmail.com I'll be more than happy to tell ya anything ya want. Baylor's a great program but its /very/ work-intensive.

mfitz

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.72/158
    • AOL Instant Messenger - MEFter0913
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2004, 03:40:52 PM »
I'm interested in learning more about Baylor too.  I've applied, although this is my big reach school, and I probably wouldn't be able to go even if I got in, but everything I've heard about it sounds great.

Does anyone know what their specialties are?
Accepts: Akron, Washburn, Hamline, Valpo, Mercer, Baylor (Sum), Arkansas, Ohio Northern, Tennessee,  Ave Maria, U of St. Thomas, St. Louis, S Carolina, Hofstra, U Florida.
Rejects: George Mason, UGA (blah).

I'm going to Tennessee!!!!!!

vagrant

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2004, 03:41:53 PM »
Ok a couple of things....

I'm a 2Q at Baylor and let me tell you the guy above talking about "breaking" that guy above is total BS. Almost everyone here is on a large scholarship and no one "breaks" anyone.

That being said its very competitive, you have to stand up when cold-called the professors are kind of hard asses and the school is very small so you know everyone.

If you want to know anything specific email me at camelbx@hotmail.com I'll be more than happy to tell ya anything ya want. Baylor's a great program but its /very/ work-intensive.

Not BS, it was straight from the guys mother.

jhusser

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2004, 05:13:00 PM »
bump