Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How many schools to apply to?  (Read 1527 times)

mfitz

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.72/158
    • AOL Instant Messenger - MEFter0913
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: How many schools to apply to?
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2004, 06:04:13 PM »
I've applied to 12 so far.  I keep thinking I should apply to more.  Like, at first, I was thinking I'd apply to all the schools I could totally get into to get scholarship money.  Then I started thinking that if I went to a lower-ranked school, I wouldnt' be able to get a job with the government like I'd like.  But is it worth it to apply to schools you have less of a 50% chance of getting into?
Accepts: Akron, Washburn, Hamline, Valpo, Mercer, Baylor (Sum), Arkansas, Ohio Northern, Tennessee,  Ave Maria, U of St. Thomas, St. Louis, S Carolina, Hofstra, U Florida.
Rejects: George Mason, UGA (blah).

I'm going to Tennessee!!!!!!

AgentRHE

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2004, 06:27:08 PM »
27.  Seriously.  I'm nothing if not one who likes to keep his options open.    ;D
Attending: Wisconsin

vagrant

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2004, 06:41:04 PM »
15-16.  Only paid for 5 of them

Lulu

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2004, 07:45:03 PM »
I applied to 16 to cast my net wide. Then last week I got nervous and threw in a couple of fee waivers I'd gotten. And I didn't pay for 16...I think I paid for 12.

desi

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2004, 07:59:18 PM »
i can't remember, it was over a year ago, but i had a bunch of fee waivers.  I think the whole application process, b/n Kaplan, LSDAS, and applications only put me back like $2500, which is a drop in the bucket compared to tuition, etc.

I am getting close to that number.  Depending on how many school visits I do I could easily jump past $2,500.

oh yea, i forgot those.  add $1000 to that total.

OnDayAtaTime

« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2004, 10:15:59 PM »
I applied to 29...hope i have some options.

NYKnicks

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2004, 11:17:21 PM »
me too, 29...and counting. I don't even know why I am doing this, but I just keep finding hidden fee waivers or just free online applications along with the waivers I legitimately got.

dr_draino

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2004, 11:19:26 PM »
me too, 29...and counting. I don't even know why I am doing this, but I just keep finding hidden fee waivers or just free online applications along with the waivers I legitimately got.

female dog

fragolina

• Sr. Citizen
  • *cluck cluck*
    • AOL Instant Messenger - fragolina+moda
    • View Profile
    • Fragolina
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2004, 11:20:05 PM »
I have a different strategery, but I think it really relates to the person's LSAT and GPA.  IF you're actually close to being in a top 14, as I hope I am, then here is the plan:

I applied to all schools in the USNEWS ranking between 7 and 14, except Berkeley, because I only have a 3.5. 

This gives me my best shot at a great school.

Then I chose a whole host of top 25 schools that I was interested in, and applied to those, of which I hope to get into maybe 1/2 (Vandy, GWU, Minnesota, WashU, etc.).

Thus, I should have a decent shot at a good law school.

Finally, if everything fails, I selected two backup schools, that I should probably get into, so I can at the worst at least attend law school.

That said, if you don't think you have any shot at a reach school, may you should not apply to so many.  Good luck.

I followed a method very similar to yours... ended up with 19 apps in - thank god for fee waivers!!!
Fragolina

Frago on LSN
In: Chicago, UMich, UVA, G-town, UCLA, Indy-B, Rutgers, MSU, Cornell
Praying: NYU, Columbia
Withdrawn: NWU, W&M, W&L, GWU, USC, BU
Out: HLS, SLS

midlife catharsis

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2004, 01:00:23 AM »
Wouldn't it be great if LSAC offered certain blanket application options, e.g., apply to the top 50 or 100 schools for one reasonable fee?

This would seem to be very prospective student-friendly, although schools would certainly resist it as it would initially overwhelm their adcomms.  Another benefit is that schools would probably be less inclined to play games with admissions ratios, etc., in their attempts to scratch and claw their way up the USNWR rankings.

I'd much rather spend my time figuring out which schools I want to go to out of a complete list of schools that will accept me, rather than investing so much time and emotion in detective mode guessing which schools I have a chance at.