Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Anyone done any campus visits?  (Read 9055 times)

Butch

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone done any campus visits?
« Reply #60 on: January 31, 2005, 12:01:33 AM »
I went to CUNY last week.  While the building isn't fancy (hell, you only pay $8k in tuition, what do you want?), I really felt at home immediately there.  It feels like an old high school building and the student body is small in size. Yes, you can have a pretty building if you pay $30+k a year, but I'd rather save my money! 

Everyone was super nice. I got a tour by a 1L and she was super cool and gave me lots of insider info.  I sat in on a Torts class and was happy to see that their teaching method is not as rigid and socratic as other places. The professor came and found me in the cafeteria afterwards and discussed the school for awhile, etc.  EVeryone was so friendly and I knew *immediately* that I'd not only fit in well, but I'd flourish there. 

The only downside in my book is the commute...it's a female dog.

Groovyju

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #61 on: January 31, 2005, 01:06:18 AM »
I went to Chicago-Kent for a minority student forum.  It was a nice urban location, right in the middle of the loop.  It's basically one really nice building which has really nice facilities.  (If there were other buildings, our tour guide din't mention them)  It lacks a campus life I think.  I've been in Chicago too long though, so I'm kinda jaded.

Can anyone tell me if Hastings and Brooklyn similar to my description of Kent or not?

hastings is right smack in the heart of san francisco, just down the street from city hall and superior court; the area itself is really nice, however, there's a pretty big congregation of homeless individuals who saunter around the area at any given hour.  the buildings are pretty nice, very courtlike, columns and such; from what i understand the facilities are pretty nice.

from what i hear, brooklyn is right in the middle of the village, so the immediate area is pretty nice, but if you stray a few blocks away you might be looking for trouble.  i applied to a bunch of the norcal schools, so if you've got questions just shoot.

Did you apply to santa clara too?  I heard santa clara's campus is a lot nicer, but is it nice enough to overlook the gap in rankings?

liberty shark

• Sr. Citizen
  • awesome.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - libertyshark
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #62 on: January 31, 2005, 04:11:37 AM »
I went to Chicago-Kent for a minority student forum.  It was a nice urban location, right in the middle of the loop.  It's basically one really nice building which has really nice facilities.  (If there were other buildings, our tour guide din't mention them)  It lacks a campus life I think.  I've been in Chicago too long though, so I'm kinda jaded.

Can anyone tell me if Hastings and Brooklyn similar to my description of Kent or not?

hastings is right smack in the heart of san francisco, just down the street from city hall and superior court; the area itself is really nice, however, there's a pretty big congregation of homeless individuals who saunter around the area at any given hour.  the buildings are pretty nice, very courtlike, columns and such; from what i understand the facilities are pretty nice.

from what i hear, brooklyn is right in the middle of the village, so the immediate area is pretty nice, but if you stray a few blocks away you might be looking for trouble.  i applied to a bunch of the norcal schools, so if you've got questions just shoot.

Did you apply to santa clara too?  I heard santa clara's campus is a lot nicer, but is it nice enough to overlook the gap in rankings?

hell no.  hastings over SCU, hands down, unless they give you money... and it better be a ton, because after gaining california residency, hastings is only 15k a year... SCU will set you back at least double that.  SCU's campus is nice.. but it's also in the burbs.. consider the internship options that one might have at a school in frisco itself.

oh yeah, and i applied to SCU, along with USF, Hastings, Golden Gate, and UoP; i plan on visiting the bay in a couple weeks... leaning heavily towards USF right now.
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=libertyshark

They deal with morals as with mathematics;
and they think what is right may be
distinguished from what is wrong with the
precision of an algebraic equation.

-Daniel Webster

twarga

« Reply #63 on: January 31, 2005, 07:43:58 AM »
Since I'm in PA for reserve duty anyway, I swung by U Penn on Saturday.  I didn't think I would go, since I hated Temple so much, but I was in the area, so I decided to check it out.  I actually really liked U Penn.  Some on this board said it was worse than Temple (area wise), but I don't agree.  I didn't have that "mugging is imminent" feeling I had at Temple, and the surrounding area is very pleasant.

twarga

« Reply #64 on: January 31, 2005, 08:39:23 AM »
Temple has a "campus"?  Is that what they call it.  I call it a series of alleyways where muggers can lie in wait.   ;)

prospect

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I'll charm you yet..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 31, 2005, 02:22:42 PM »
I walked past the Fordham campus yesterday.  My fiancee had to restrain me from storming the admissions office...