Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Anyone done any campus visits?  (Read 8830 times)

help101

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone done any campus visits?
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2005, 01:37:32 PM »
Has anyone visited UPA or Univ FL?  If so, please give your impression.

Thanks.

SleepyGuyYawn

« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2005, 02:03:29 PM »
If by UPA you mean Penn, I've been there, but briefly.  From what I saw it was amazingly beautiful, and even though the surrounding area might be a bit shady at night, it has a lot of shopping and it's pretty nice during the day.

Southern Gentleman

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2005, 06:14:03 AM »
When I was in Laguna Beach, there was a place called Thai This.  We have a place called Thai Phoon.  Those silly Thais . . .

yeah, we've got thaifoon and thaiphoon. i was curious about trademark problems now that you mention it! thaifoon is above the santa monica airport and is awesome but thaiphoon at fashion island sucks. HTH

Shouldn't you say thaiphoon blows rather than sucks?
In: Jones
Hold: n/a
Rejected: n/a
Applied: Jones, Tulsa, Widener

jax327

« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2005, 10:23:49 AM »
Last week I was in Philadelphia on vacation, so on Monday I took the train down to DC to check out American, GW and GMU.  I spend a summer interning at GULC, so I didn't feel the need to check it out.  As for GULC, the school is nice and has great facilities, but it is right next to a homeless shelter and the area is pretty shady at night.. If I were to get in I would live in Georgetown and commute to the hill.  I had been under the impression that American would be easier to get to, instead I had to walk for like a half hour in the blistering cold from the metro, which definitely dampened my view of the school.  I liked GMU.. quiet part of the city, but easy access to the Metro and thus the rest of DC.  I think that if I went there I would live in the Rosslyn area and commute to school that way I'd also be close to the fun nightlife in DC.  Finally, I absolutely LOVED GW.  I thought the facilities were great and I love the location in the city. 

Finally, I went by Villanova while I was in Philly.  I thought the people there were incredibly nice and friendly, so the ancient building didn't bother me that much.  I never dropped by Temple, even though I was staying in Center City all week (had to study for those February LSATs!) Nevertheless, Philly isn't a bad city so I probably wouldn't mind either of those schools. 

HURLEY- L.S.D.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2005, 12:59:18 PM »
kev,
 I just wanted to let you know that you've been VERY helpful on these forums.  You have some really great info on the T2 northeast schools especially, and I appreciate the info.

jax327

« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2005, 01:57:13 PM »
The admissions office at Villanova told me that some students choose to live in Manayunk (might have misspelled).  Do many of the students actually live there, and of those who don't live there do many party in that area. 

Also, of the schools in the DC/Philly/NY area, which schools are known for having fun students?

jakew

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2005, 03:45:48 PM »
I had been under the impression that American would be easier to get to, instead I had to walk for like a half hour in the blistering cold from the metro, which definitely dampened my view of the school. 

For the record, there is a shuttle that runs from the metro to the law school quite frequently (Its every 15 minutes to the main campus, not sure how often for the law school). They may not have been running because of the holidays, however.

jax327

« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2005, 03:51:13 PM »
Yeah I know, it was running every hour and there was no way in hell I was going to wait outside.  The walk wouldn't be bad on a warm day, but it still isn't something I would want to do daily.

Munkeysgrrl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2005, 06:49:31 PM »
Campus visits are fun.  I visited Berkeley, Davis, UCLA, Hastings, Santa Clara, and Loyola in October.  I toured the buildings and chatted with admissions about the application process.

Surprisingly, Boalt was the worst building.  The building was dreary and horrible.  My sister is in Berkeley School of Social Work and they have a MUCH better building than the law school. I was amazed.

UCLA was my favorite.  It is absolutely gorgeous and I'd die to go to school there.

Besides the fact that Loyola is in the ghetto, any other info you have would be much appreciated.  Thanks!
Loyola LA Here I Come!!

twarga

« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2005, 03:55:30 PM »
I just visited Villanova last week, and drill monthly at the Willow Grove Reserve Station in the same general area, and I agree with what everyone has said about Villanova.  It's old, old, old, with a crappy library, but very nice admissions staff and great place to live.