Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Anyone done any campus visits?  (Read 8644 times)

alibami_z

• Sr. Citizen
  • Law school?
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone done any campus visits?
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2004, 03:58:05 PM »
I've visited GULC, GW, and GMU (notice a theme?).  I also lived in Ithaca for several years while my husband was a grad student so I'll give impressions of Cornell too.

I happened to visit GULC and GW during the summer (only time I had) so I'm sure my experience was not representative of what it would really be like.  That being said...

GW: The exterior was stately but old. The buildings surround a quad where people hung out, ate, studied, etc.  It felt half campus, half city.  At the time they were remodeling the interior so stuff was rather messy and the second floor was closed.  Also, I wasn't able to see the library  :(. It looked like it was going to be beautiful but still felt a bit claustrophobic with all the twists and turns in the hallways.  I can only imagine what it would feel like full of people.  The classrooms themselves looked modern, clean, and high tech.  I met with an admissions counselor who was friendly and helpful but answers were vague for the most part.  I was pleased but not wowed.

GULC: The area surrounding the campus was a little bit run down with a lot of construction going on.  A good portion of the campus was under construction as well.  Once on the campus, I was very pleased.  The main building felt spacious and had a cafeteria/coffee shop in the basement ;D.  The library entrance is stunning and the reading room reminded me of Cornell.  I also liked the enclosed courtyard between the main building and the library.  It felt like I wasn't even in the city.  Admissions counselors were unavailable when I visited so I spoke with the admissions receptionist who was extra helpful and friendly.  She answered all my questions in detail.  Classrooms didn't look as nice as GW, but overall the feel was better for me.  This is definitely my first choice.

GMU: I visited in the evening and was able to attend a Contracts class.  I loved the lecture but was not happy with the campus nor the students.  The school felt like a commuter campus with a wall of windows overlooking a big parking lot.  The entire school (except a few random classes) are held in one large building in downtown Arlington.  Very urban.  The atrium at the entrance was open but felt cold and didn't feel like a place I'd want to hang out in.  Downstairs they had a nice little cafeteria.  Our guide even pointed out the fresh flowers on the tables.  The library was okay.  Depending on how busy it gets, traffic flow might be a problem negotiating around some of the stacks.  Finally, the classrooms seemed nice (all wired for internet) but when in class I could not hear the students comments.  At least in the class I was in, the acoustics were lousy.  Also, just in my immediate vicinity, 12 different people were messing around on their computers doing anything but paying attention.  How is this possible?

Cornell:  I can't comment specifically on the law school but am very familiar with the campus and town in general.  As they say in Ithaca, there are two seasons, winter and fourth of July.  It snowed on Mothers' Day.  It could get so cold my bones would hurt.  But it was always spectacularly beautiful and always changing. They almost never close the campus due to bad weather conditions (or they'd never be open :)). Road plowing is exceptional but the bus system to and from campus was how I traveled and I don't have a single complaint. I loved eating in the Ivy room in Willard Straight Hall.  The food was good and cheap and the coffee and pastries were too good.  It's true there's not a lot to do besides wander around college town or the commons or go to the mall, but my husband was so busy with school work we never did much of anything anyway so it didn't really matter.  Also, Syracuse isn't too far and it has big-mall shopping.  We wanted to stay after my husband graduated but he couldn't find a local job. I'd go to Cornell if my husband could find a job there.
Georgetown University Law Center
Class of 2008

lexylit

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2004, 04:03:22 PM »
thank you! how far is nyc from ithaca?

alibami_z

• Sr. Citizen
  • Law school?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2004, 05:49:25 PM »
thank you! how far is nyc from ithaca?

I think it's about 4 or 5 hours drive.  They had busses running to and from NY all the time.  I'm not sure if the busses went to the NY campus or just to NY in general.  From my experience, they've got it pretty well organized up there.
Georgetown University Law Center
Class of 2008

dr_draino

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2004, 07:26:56 PM »
For the record, any law school you go to will have tons of students IMing and surfing the web in class...yep, even Harvard, Yale and Stanford I bet...

fragolina

• Sr. Citizen
  • *cluck cluck*
    • AOL Instant Messenger - fragolina+moda
    • View Profile
    • Fragolina
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2004, 07:43:51 PM »
For the record, any law school you go to will have tons of students IMing and surfing the web in class...yep, even Harvard, Yale and Stanford I bet...

so true... it seems like the only time I talk to many of my friends already in law school right now is while they are in class.

when I visited Columbia one girl yelled at her friends for not IMing her the answer when their socratic method professor called on her and they knew she hadn't done the reading. It was actually kind of funny to witness - it is a crazy world we live in.
Fragolina

Frago on LSN
In: Chicago, UMich, UVA, G-town, UCLA, Indy-B, Rutgers, MSU, Cornell
Praying: NYU, Columbia
Withdrawn: NWU, W&M, W&L, GWU, USC, BU
Out: HLS, SLS

Doubledown Trent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2004, 12:05:58 AM »
I visited American and it seemed really laid-back.  The diversity thing they go for is really noticeable.  The prop class I sat in on had a professor who was a woman AND black AND homosexual.  Three for the price of one.  She was really funny, too.  The building is down the road from the undergrad and is in a residential part of town.  The entire law school building is rather new so the facilities are good.
GW is rather urban, but the location is great.  The library is kinda small for such a large school, though.  There are a lot of undergrads, but there are also a lot of businesspeople just walking around so it doesn't fee TOO dominated by undergrads.  Plus, I mentioned this before, Jamba Juice.
There are no stupid questions - just stupid people who ask questions.
Attending in the fall: GW

lexylit

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2004, 01:16:24 AM »
Plus, I mentioned this before, Jamba Juice.

stanford has jamba! yum  :D

Doubledown Trent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2004, 01:20:03 AM »
Plus, I mentioned this before, Jamba Juice.

stanford has jamba! yum  :D

Oh, I forgot to mentino this.  AU Law has crappy food in the building.  But it has a chicken out and a starbucks across the street.  GW also has ben&jerrys, einstein bagels, wendys, and some other decent stuff on campus.  You can also use your meal points at TGI Fridays.
There are no stupid questions - just stupid people who ask questions.
Attending in the fall: GW

desi

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2004, 01:23:19 AM »
Oh, I forgot to mentino this.  AU Law has crappy food in the building.  But it has a chicken out and a starbucks across the street.  GW also has ben&jerrys, einstein bagels, wendys, and some other decent stuff on campus.  You can also use your meal points at TGI Fridays.

we have crappy food at the LS.  somehow, i manage to eat some type of free food at least two or three times a week though.  but there is good food on the undergrad campus (read that:  more options).  The sushi at the LS is publix sushi = crappolla.

on topic:  i met kdg when she came to Emory.  She is a sweetie and was too flattering of me in her thread about Emory.  I'm a as$hole and we all know it.