Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Truman  (Read 931 times)

Leviathan

• View Profile
Truman
« on: November 10, 2004, 11:24:32 PM »
How much would being a Truman Scholar help your admission chances at top 3 if you are black. LSAT: 165 GPA: 3.89

hotsauce

• View Profile
Re: Truman
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2004, 12:02:46 AM »
Probably nearly guarantees your admission for Harard. Hard to say for Yale and Stanford.

dunson

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2004, 12:13:06 AM »
what is a truman scholar??

headlesschicken

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2004, 01:53:47 AM »
use your truman scholarship to get yourself a rhodes, and you're a shoe-in at yale (i know at least 10 people who did this, including multiple people who had lower gpa's than yours.) congrats on the truman, by the way. i didn't even get an interview for one of my campus nominations. frickin' over-achievers at my school ....

even without the rhodes, i'm sure you're a great candidate. yale definitely does its damnedest to get all the trumans.
179/3.97 (Top3)
Total payments to Yale, 1999-2008: >$250,000

headlesschicken

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2004, 01:57:04 AM »
to answer the subsequent question: truman scholars are recipients of one of the most prestigious public service scholarship (the truman scholarship).  it's worth 30,000 towards grad school, i think, and the scholars get to spend a summer in DC working for the government and basically get hooked up in terms of connections, etc. i still wish i'd managed to get one. but oh well, life goes on.
179/3.97 (Top3)
Total payments to Yale, 1999-2008: >$250,000

One Step Ahead

• LSD Obsessed
  • you say you want a revolution
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2004, 06:55:49 PM »
How much would being a Truman Scholar help your admission chances at top 3 if you are black. LSAT: 165 GPA: 3.89
helps a lot, but that is the same if you are white or non URM.  The Truman itself is a big booster at H/S.  I wouldn't go so far as to say it is a guarantee, but I'd be pretty surprised if an applicant with those credentials didn't get into Harvard and Stanford.

use your truman scholarship to get yourself a rhodes, and you're a shoe-in at yale (i know at least 10 people who did this, including multiple people who had lower gpa's than yours.) congrats on the truman, by the way. i didn't even get an interview for one of my campus nominations. frickin' over-achievers at my school ....

even without the rhodes, i'm sure you're a great candidate. yale definitely does its damnedest to get all the trumans.

I think you underestimate just how many Trumans apply for the Rhodes Scholarship (I would put the figure close to around 70%) and apply to Yale (of those interested in law which is a good 60%+ I'd say about 90-95% apply to Yale).  Unfortunately you cannot use the Truman to get yourself a Rhodes or Yale admission--it might signal that you may be competitive for both, but it certainly doesn't guarantee you either.  I would guess in any given year about 40+ Truman Scholars are applying to Yale and out of that maybe 10 are accepted.  We have even seen that having the Truman + Rhodes not to mention excellent numbers has not guaranteed admission at Yale.  So I think Yale is a wash; you just have to do the best you can in crafting a kick-butt application and hope for the best.

One Step Ahead

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2004, 09:18:25 PM »
Mobell, IM me

Sportseditor23

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2004, 09:26:22 PM »
I think you would get into 1 of the three regardless
You can't get accepted to a school if you don't apply

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=Sportseditor23

The Name's Dali

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2004, 10:20:09 PM »
Can you apply the Truman money toward Law School or only a Liberal Arts Grad School education?  When do you apply?

One Step Ahead

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2004, 10:41:49 PM »
yes you can as well as Med school, MPA/MPH etc programs, and even an MBA if you spin it right

you apply your junior year of college