Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Joining the FBI/CIA  (Read 3186 times)

Victor

Joining the FBI/CIA
« on: April 08, 2004, 03:15:56 AM »
Do you have to go to lawschool to join the FBI/CIA? How much are the salaries? Where can I get more info on this?

kaftex

Re: Joining the FBI/CIA
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2004, 04:40:56 AM »
The answer is no.

Most three letter agencies are interested in a variety of disciplines, including but not limited to CS/EE/CmpE, foreign languages, accounting, and law. A math major I knew at GT was recruited by the NSA, and a couple of CmpE classmates I spoke with had offers from the CIA. I looked briefly at the FBI in my senior year, but apparently they think you're not agent material unless you're 23. No chasing sewer-flukes or chupacabras for me. :/

As for obtaining additional info, I suggest you check the agencies' websites. They spell out very clearly what their employment requirements are.

jrmadtown

• 3.31/164
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2004, 09:01:41 AM »
I applied to the CIA as an accountant and never did hear a darn thing back from them...

But their website spells it all out.  Unless you speak six languages and have worked in a foreign country and can be secret agent man, the pay is typical or even low for government work.  But imagine how cool the business cards would be...
Go Bush!  (8

Findedeux

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2004, 01:31:57 PM »
No offense, but why would you want to join the CIA? A large part of the foreign policy of the U.S. is related to self-interest and multinational urgings, e.g., Iran (the Shah), Chile (Allende), the Contras (Nicaragua), etc. And it is the CIA that generally takes care of the dirty work. I could understand your desire if the CIA has scruples of any kind, but they have killed thousands of innocents in scores of foreign countries.

neorealist

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2004, 01:52:56 PM »
No offense, but why would you want to join the CIA? A large part of the foreign policy of the U.S. is related to self-interest and multinational urgings, e.g., Iran (the Shah), Chile (Allende), the Contras (Nicaragua), etc. And it is the CIA that generally takes care of the dirty work. I could understand your desire if the CIA has scruples of any kind, but they have killed thousands of innocents in scores of foreign countries.

So it's your position that killing is bad? My local republican representative says killing is bad only when it impacts people you like.

jrmadtown

• 3.31/164
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2004, 02:13:12 PM »
You assume we have scruples.  This being a site for future attorneys, I wouldn't bet on it.

8)
Go Bush!  (8

Victor

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2004, 02:13:46 PM »

The Lawyers at the CIA kill people ???

jrmadtown

• 3.31/164
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2004, 02:20:58 PM »
Badass lawyers!!!
 8)
Go Bush!  (8

pinktinker

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2004, 04:05:51 PM »
One doesn't need a JD to join either agency, but there have been several interesting articles lately re. JDs who practiced and eventually decided to join the FBI (sorry, no info on CIA).  The pay scale is a thorny issue; in fact, the FBI as a whole (not just post-JDs) is looking at possibly high attrition rates among new agents in the next few years b/c of their low starting salaries.  Typical starting salary is mid- to high $40s, and promotions over the course of your career (approx. 20 yrs.) can take you up to $90,000.  The problem, however, seems to lie in the fact that the FBI tends to place new agents in busy offices in large, expensive urban centers (e.g. NYC, Miami, LA), where home prices are extremely high.  Check out jd2b.com for links to the articles. 

lawstudent2004

• Sr. Citizen
  • 160 LSAT and 3.48 GPA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2004, 07:59:17 PM »
they have killed thousands of innocents in scores of foreign countries.