Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Affirmative Action is getting out of hand  (Read 12883 times)

ElizaB

• Sr. Citizen
  • What a sweet face?
    • View Profile
Re: Affirmative Action is getting out of hand
« Reply #70 on: November 11, 2004, 08:46:16 AM »
White womne have benefitted the most from AA.

If you don't believe me - do your own research.

This may or not be true with regard to Affirmative Action in general, but it is certainly not true with regard to Affirimative Action in the law school application process. The last time I checked, women were in the majority of law school applicants and attendence, and no law schools I know of give bonus points to women.

The number of women applying to law school and medical school and most graduated programs have outnumbered men applying every year since 2000.  The only exceptions to this might be graduate engineering programs and some MBA programs.  However, there are still slightly fewer women being enrolled.  Black women make up 60% of those applying and only 48% of those enrolled.  Therefore, being a woman (black, white or purple) does not currently help you in anyway in the admissions process to law school!   
Attending: Texas

Sequoia

« Reply #71 on: November 11, 2004, 09:28:50 AM »
SMH

Sequoia

• Rutgers University 3.5/174
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 11, 2004, 10:28:35 AM »
I agree with the ethos of LSD  . . . nothing good comes out of talking about AA.

Leviathan

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 11, 2004, 10:55:43 AM »
The number of women applying to law school and medical school and most graduated programs have outnumbered men applying every year since 2000.  The only exceptions to this might be graduate engineering programs and some MBA programs.  However, there are still slightly fewer women being enrolled.  Black women make up 60% of those applying and only 48% of those enrolled.  Therefore, being a woman (black, white or purple) does not currently help you in anyway in the admissions process to law school!

This has to be the worst analysis I've ever seen in my life. You list evidence and then make some semblance of a conclusion...Honestly, I don't see how you can draw your conclusion from the statements given.

superiorlobe

« Reply #74 on: November 11, 2004, 10:57:08 AM »

I agree.  The reasoning here is imbecilic.  Have you considered the possibility that although Black women make up 60% of those applying, then would only make up 2% of those enrolled unless they were given massive AA benefits?

JohnB.

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 11, 2004, 11:00:13 AM »

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Casper

• Sr. Citizen
  • Casper, the friendly Ghost.
    • View Profile
    • DANY
« Reply #76 on: November 11, 2004, 11:09:53 AM »
LOL.  There should be a permanent ban on AA discussion on LSD.  Agree or disagree, the policy will continue to exist in the forseeable future.  Just as the notion, seperate but equal "seem" justifable, current AA policies as defined by the federal gov't in justified. 

You can live with the policy, or devote your entire legal career defending it or fighting against it.  Enough said.

Drawing dead, serving 25 to life.

ElizaB

• Sr. Citizen
  • What a sweet face?
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 11, 2004, 11:16:57 AM »

I agree.  The reasoning here is imbecilic.  Have you considered the possibility that although Black women make up 60% of those applying, then would only make up 2% of those enrolled unless they were given massive AA benefits?

I think you are misinterpreting what I wrote.  I'm not comparing the African American women applying to the general population....I'm comparing them to the population of the blacks in law school.  I am saying that a larger percentage of men are accepted. Black women make up 60% of the African-American population applying but only 48% of the African American population that is enrolled.  I realize that there is a possibility that African American men could have  higher numbers than the women....but it doesn't seem like this would account for that much of a discrepancy.

ElizaB

• Sr. Citizen
  • What a sweet face?
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 11, 2004, 11:22:37 AM »

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sorry but I don't understand why anything I said is funny or why my reasoning is incorrect.  More women than men (of all races) apply to law school (and Med School) and, yet, there are fewer accepted.  I am simply saying that if AA was helping us out so much, than more (not less) women would be in law school.

Please explain.  I really want to understand.   

Leviathan

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 11, 2004, 11:33:34 AM »
your conclusion is still unwarranted. Your whole analysis creates a causal link between application percentage and acceptance. The percetage of applications from a particular group is irrelevant. If women outnumbered men in the applicaton process and only got 50% of the seats, but had on average sub-par scores than men, then it is possible that women still receive affirmative action. The evidence you give is weak and the links are silly at best.