Law School Discussion

Affirmative Action is getting out of hand

Regal_Muse

Re: Affirmative Action is getting out of hand
« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2004, 06:28:05 PM »
She also has a 175, I think.  If that doesn't mean Yale, I don't know what does.
She also has a 175, I think. If that doesn't mean Yale, I don't know what does.

173 luv..but close enough LOL.

I'm not getting my hopes up for Yale...You have to feed hungry children in Africa, win the Noble Peace Prize, and be Native American.

mivida2k

• Do I Really Need to Answer This Question
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2004, 07:11:43 PM »
What schools are you talking about?  WE must be looking at different LSAC ABA information.

1. minorities (blacks and hispanics) are woefully underrepresented in the professions and overrepresented in prisons
Don't know the numbers for hispanics. But unless I get some other information okay that sounds like a reasonable stipulation.

2. as it stand now, without AA minorities would remain underrepresented at least in law school
This stipulation is too broad. They'd be underrepresented at Harvard, Yale, etc. but the further down you went the more likely the numbers would be proportional.

3. racism is still alive and well in the US in many areas
Fair enough.

4. minority communities are still struggling affected by the history of racism in this country. that is, generations of qualified blacks and hispanics have been denied opportunities including but not limited to education which has put their communities in a disadvantaged position.
I'd argue with the causes you stipulate but for the purposes of this discussion, fine.

5. teh public is not willing to spend the resources to specifically correct the effects of #4
This isn't exactly true. The public has spent large amounts of resources on various policies all with the clear intention of correcting the problems of #4. The fact that such policies have been unsuccessful is not the same as the public being unwilling to spend the resources.

Some further stipulations though:

6) The blacks who are the typical beneficiaries of AA (at least in law school) are blacks who are much more well off than those in the communities you cite in #4.

7) While racism is alive and well in the U.S. there isn't any clear racism against blacks by law school admissions.

8 ) Affirmative action by allowing individuals with much lower credentials into law school is not only discriminatory (against whites and every group not covered by AA) but statistically can be shown to result in much lower GPAs when in law school and much lower bar passage rates compared to their peers (unless you want to argue that the cause of lower achievement is something other than the lowering entering credentials of many AA applicants).

9) Even if outweighed by the benefits there is a high cost to affirmative action because it is by its nature a racist practice.

10) If overall achievement by blacks is harmed by AA in law schools then even if individual blacks may benefit it is not a worthwhile practice (i.e. if 10 blacks get great jobs but 50 blacks get harmed by the practice almost no matter how much better off those 10 are the practice is not worthwhile).

ElizaB

• What a sweet face?
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2004, 09:21:09 PM »
Here is an intersting article on AA, if anybody is interested:
http://www.bc.edu/schools/law/lawreviews/meta-elements/journals/bclawr/43_3/01_FMS.htm

I'm just wondering, why doesn't the NBA have AA?

Casper

• Casper, the friendly Ghost.
    • View Profile
    • DANY
« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2004, 09:29:08 PM »
Competitive sports.  Although, you can sue NBA under ADA regulations, and have them change their rules.   ;D

ElizaB

• What a sweet face?
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2004, 09:33:34 PM »
Maybe I should sue the NBA and say that women are under represented!

Casper

• View Profile
    • DANY
« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2004, 09:38:34 PM »
Maybe I should sue the NBA and say that women are under represented!

No, not really, since there's WNBA. 

shiveringjenny

« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2004, 09:41:51 PM »
::laughs:: the WNBA.

Let's be serious.

ElizaB

• What a sweet face?
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2004, 09:42:14 PM »
OK...I must admit that I have been drinking and I don't even play basketball.

At any rate, I have been doing some research on this thing and I have come across some interesting statistics.  Apparently, AA is now helping URM males the most.  URM females make up about 60% of the URM applicants but only about 49% of enrolled URM.  

Casper

• View Profile
    • DANY
« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2004, 09:44:51 PM »
::laughs:: the WNBA.

Let's be serious.

You're looking for a pro-ball that's coed?   ;D

NYKnicks

« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2004, 09:47:11 PM »
the women do shoot jumpers better than the men on some occasions...