Law School Discussion

Affirmative Action is getting out of hand

Re: Affirmative Action is getting out of hand
« Reply #230 on: November 21, 2004, 07:25:14 AM »
Thank you, things are much quieter here now.

You make some good points and I will quietly reflect on them.

(Slowly backing away from the debate, knowing he should have just kept his mouth shut)

John Galt

« Reply #231 on: November 21, 2004, 10:32:14 AM »
I know my name throws a lot of you guys off. I don't agree with Rand's philosophy. The fact that Rand doesn't agree with AA is irrelevant; most people agree with her theory.

That the process of affirmative action will indeed result in some form of racial discrimination by replacing a numerically-qualified, white/asian applicant with a minority applicant.  That minority applicant could be either brilliant or less-qualified.  The issue is that the minority is specifically selected on the basis of race to the exclusion of another person of race.  This is racial discrimination, and no matter what rants the 'pro' side may come up with to justify it, it is still racial discrimination nonetheless.

The reason that this is not admitted is because it cannot be proven. Discrimination would be if a person was rejected on the basis of their race. Just because one person is admitted on the basis of race does not mean another person is discriminated based on race. I've never heard of a person being rejected based on race...and I've never seen it proven that if minority applicant A did not get in, then white male B would get in? Could it be that the remaining white applicants with great numbers that were passed over eliminated themselves through some mistake: a conviction, bad personal statement, no work history, ect?For future lawyers, a lot of your conceptions of qualifications are overly simplistic.

Prove your case, please.

John Galt

amelus

• View Profile
« Reply #232 on: November 21, 2004, 12:12:01 PM »
I've never heard of a person being rejected based on race...and I've never seen it proven that if minority applicant A did not get in, then white male B would get in?

this is worthless.

of course you dont know of a specific case.  only way you would is if an admissions officer from some place came out and revealed how the process works (they are probably contractually bound not do divulge any information, and even if not, they certainly would ruin reputation if came out and said anything specific about the process that institution did not want revealed).
this is like arguing that, before opening the books of a private business, you should PROVE, the business is corrupt.  of course only the books definitively show if the business is doing something illegal (e.g. dumping) and the company will never show the books to you.

addressing only your statement above, nothing else.

mivida2k

• Do I Really Need to Answer This Question
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: November 21, 2004, 12:33:05 PM »
The main problem is that some American citizens refuse to acknowledge that the evils of discrimination and prejudice still run rampant in our society.  Until America can acknowledge its past and present there will not be a future.

Spallenzani

• Proud to be a moran
    • View Profile
    • Catallarchy
    • Email
« Reply #234 on: November 27, 2004, 06:34:16 AM »
The reason that this is not admitted is because it cannot be proven. Discrimination would be if a person was rejected on the basis of their race. Just because one person is admitted on the basis of race does not mean another person is discriminated based on race. I've never heard of a person being rejected based on race...and I've never seen it proven that if minority applicant A did not get in, then white male B would get in? Could it be that the remaining white applicants with great numbers that were passed over eliminated themselves through some mistake: a conviction, bad personal statement, no work history, ect?For future lawyers, a lot of your conceptions of qualifications are overly simplistic.

Prove your case, please.

John Galt

Jennifer Gratz proved her case in front of the U.S. Supreme Court. She won.

Victor

• View Profile
« Reply #235 on: November 27, 2004, 06:49:21 AM »
Yo Spallenzani the fukk is on your mind uppin this thread? are you sick or something?