Law School Discussion

Affirmative Action is getting out of hand

Affirmative Action is getting out of hand
« on: November 10, 2004, 10:24:41 AM »
From looking at lawschoolnumbers.com there were blacks that got into top schools with 2.8 gpas. What's going on? I just feel Affirmative Action is destorying our country. A man's work should speak for itself. No pitty points should be given. And I love it when people classify me as a racist because I'm against AA. People wake up . . . dont you see what's going on?

I have no respect for blacks that go into law school based on their skin color. It's reverse discrimination and you know it!! But the capitalist in you wont allow you to admit that you are wrong.

For the record i'm not racist. I have a best friend who is black.

Re: Affirmative Action is getting out of hand
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2004, 10:29:16 AM »
Whenever someone says "I am not racist, I have A best friend who is Black", I think to myself wow, this person cannot be racist because he has 1 friend who is black. (NOT)
  Untill you have stepped in a black person's shoes, I cannot speak for other races here because I don't know how they are treated, you cannot possibly know what they go through on a daily basis.
 Affirmative Action is not enough to right the wrongs that so many black people go through today.
 Even so called unracist people have stereotypical ideas of what a black person is like, and how they act.
 I am not even going to continue with my argument to your offensice passage, it doesn't warrant any more of my time.

Keep your ignorant views to yourself.

jacy85

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2004, 10:29:56 AM »
Try reading one of the other 30 threads on this topic.  We really don't need a new one.

From looking at lawschoolnumbers.com there were blacks that got into top schools with 2.8 gpas. What's going on? I just feel Affirmative Action is destorying our country. A man's work should speak for itself. No pitty points should be given. And I love it when people classify me as a racist because I'm against AA. People wake up . . . dont you see what's going on?

I have no respect for blacks that go into law school based on their skin color. It's reverse discrimination and you know it!! But the capitalist in you wont allow you to admit that you are wrong.

superiorlobe

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2004, 10:34:14 AM »
Whenever someone says "I am not racist, I have A best friend who is Black", I think to myself wow, this person cannot be racist because he has 1 friend who is black. (NOT)
  Untill you have stepped in a black person's shoes, I cannot speak for other races here because I don't know how they are treated, you cannot possibly know what they go through on a daily basis.
 Affirmative Action is not enough to right the wrongs that so many black people go through today.
 Even so called unracist people have stereotypical ideas of what a black person is like, and how they act.
 I am not even going to continue with my argument to your offensice passage, it doesn't warrant any more of my time.

Oh shut up.  I sick of reading prissy posts from people like you.  Before you accuse people of being racist for oppsoing AA, please define exactly what it is that makes a person racist.  If you can't or won't then STFU.

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2004, 10:38:21 AM »
Try reading one of the other 30 threads on this topic.  We really don't need a new one.

Are you for or against AA?

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2004, 10:41:11 AM »
I agree that AA could be viewed as reverse discrimation, however, I feel the real tragedy is the stigma AA has on truly qualified minorities. Consider for instance, a friend of mine, who is in my opinion a really smart brilliant African-American. We get about the same grades, I have a 3.93 and he has a 3.8 something, his LSAT was in the 98Th percentile, mine in the 96Th, but he has told me that he believes once he gets to law school everyone will think he got there because of AA and that my friend's is bull. Undoubtedly, there are minorities who dont have the "strict numbers" but we shouldnt pass judgement on all minorities. Some of them are just as qualified as typical applicants. I would also urge people against AA to spend a wk in North Phildelphia or some other poor minority ubran center, and ask yourself this question: Is it really possible for this individual considering his circumstances to score in the 99th percentile on the LSAT? It's difficult to get a good score even when you have everything going for you.

jacy85

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2004, 10:44:35 AM »
I've probably posted in the past on this subject, and I'm not goint to repeat myself now.

Really, go read the other threads.  There's more than enough of them.  Your views are not novel.  You add nothing new, adn I guarantee you can find at least 2-3 posts that are almost identical to yours.

AA discussions on this board go round and round, and devolve into accusations of racism from both sides.  Nothing is accomplished, and they quickly loose whatever qualities an intelligent discourse might have.  Maybe somewhere else in the world people can have an intelligent, thought-provoking conversation on AA, but it never seems to happen here.

Are you for or against AA?

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2004, 10:47:10 AM »
This is a very tired topic. 

ZAP

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2004, 10:47:53 AM »

Oh shut up.  I sick of reading prissy posts from people like you.  Before you accuse people of being racist for oppsoing AA, please define exactly what it is that makes a person racist.  If you can't or won't then STFU.

Exactly.

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2004, 10:52:19 AM »
the OP is misssing one crucial point.

if things WERE equal, then that urm probably wouldn't have a 2.8 GPA. That is the whole point...

If things were equal you would be competing against URMs with higher numbers....AA just adds to the numbers to make it as if things were equal.