Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Review Course Advice  (Read 1413 times)

italgirl133

• View Profile
    • Email
Review Course Advice
« on: April 07, 2004, 11:20:30 PM »
Hi Everyone!

I need some advice regarding which review course would be most beneficial.  I took the December 2003 LSAT and was a few points short of where I wanted to be.  I studied on my own but there were so many issues with the cancellation of the exam in the New York area that I didnt give it my all when I took it.  So, the question is...which course has gotten the best ratings?  Im really leaning towards testmaster but I would like some input from those who have taken the course.  Thanks!  8)

ruskiegirl

Re: Review Course Advice
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2004, 11:28:39 PM »
I think you will find that it is entirely a matter or preference.  I think different courses cater to different learning styles.  Some people swear by Kaplan.  I took it, and wasn't very happy. (Sorry, this probably doesn't help very much.)  The only thing there seems to be a general consensus on is the fact that you need to work through as many actual published LSAT's as you can.  Good luck!

SpeakerDave

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.35 / 161
    • View Profile
    • SpeakerDave
Re: Review Course Advice
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2004, 11:37:13 PM »
You will find a useful discussion on Kaplan in the "horror stories" section of this board.  Here is a link:  http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,328.0 
It's called "LSAT TAKERS! DO NOT USE KAPLAN"

I'm no fan of Kaplan because I think they burn you out just before the test.  I think what they teach is useful.  I would caution you to be sure that you aren't tired of the same question over and over, because that is what the LSAT is.

Whether you improve your LSAT skills in a class, one-on-one, or on your own, just be sure you are fresh for the LSAT that counts.

Kaplan's intense rigour in the 6 weeks leading up to the LSAT, including 3 full practive exams the week before the LSAT burned me out.  I just couldn't stomache another LSAT question the day of my real LSAT.  I did poorly.  I didn't practice/review at all for my retake and I scored a modest 161 (85th percentile).

Best wishes...