Law School Discussion

June or October, 2004?

N9

June or October, 2004?
« on: April 07, 2004, 07:48:35 PM »
It's 4/7 and I haven't done much more than 148 on a diagnostic.  Long work hours have made weeknight studying a challenge, but I'm registered for the June LSAT.  Hoping for a 160, am I better to dig in between now and June?  Or should I regard the small bit of prep time I've invested as a good start for the October test?  Two weekends between now and June are out for study (no) thanks to work.  I'm thinking October, but can anyone confirm?  Or disagree?  Can I make 160 by June?

Thanks in advance! ;D

Re: June or October, 2004?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2004, 08:54:06 PM »
Why push it? If you are already a bit concerned and you have some weekends that are out, why not go for October and create a complete study plan? That way you know you have enough time and you can relax since you won't have to rush it.

At least, that's what I would do.  :)

Nicky

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2004, 08:59:32 PM »
Id say go for the Oct test.  Unless you can really devote some time between now and then (and it dosnt sound like it with your work) take more time to study.  They say your score drops a few point from your diags in the real thing--I found was unfortunately true--so plan for a little below what you are scoring--definetly not above.  Take a prep class, LSAT is key.  Cheers. 

ruskiegirl

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2004, 09:06:20 PM »
I think that the October LSAT still puts you in good shape to apply for the following fall.  It gives you extra time to practice and improve that score.  I don't want to sound cynnical, but it's unlikely that you will go from a 148 to something in the 160's in two months.  From what I understand, an improvement of 10 or more points is unusual, no matter the length of prep time.  Therefore, I would advise you to take your time.  If you have the remainder of your file complete (resume, ps, lor's, etc.) by the time you take the October LSAT, you would be able to get your applications in fairly early.  The only advantage I can see to taking the June LSAT is giving yourself a chance to observe the actual test environment, which is really different from your home, Kaplan classroom, or school.  If you freak out, you can cancel your score and still have plenty of time to re-take the test and apply.  It's really up to you.  If you don't plan on taking it more than once, I would suggest October, though.

ttiwed

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2004, 09:19:09 PM »
i attended a presentation by someone who scored a 175 in february and his first diagnostic was a 166. he recommended that students study 2 hours a day from monday to saturday (taking a break on sundays) for 6 months.

Day 1: take a timed test

Day 2: study all the right answer choices and think about why they are right

Day 3: study all the wrong answers and why they are wrong

Day 4: independent study : study all three sections focusing on your lowest scoring area and study your kaplan, princeton review, etc books.

and repeat the process.

this seems like a very structured approach to studying for the test. I crammed in january taking full length practice tests just about everyday and ended up canceling my score on the real thing. give yourself some time and take the oct exam.

jgruber

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2004, 12:39:21 PM »
I'm just curious.  What study methods/books, etc. have you been using?

N9

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2004, 01:50:14 PM »
Wow!  Thanks everyone for the advice and even the encouragement.  My diagnostic 148 was a Kaplan test, and since that "test drive" score I've been working out of a Kaplan book (except for when I'm reading the Princeton book at Borders drinking Joe  ;D).  I'm not shy to admit that I have a long way to go, so I appreciate y'all who confirmed my thinking re: October.  I'm certainly thankful for your advice!  Now, does it help if I wear my lucky t-shirt to the LSAT? 

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2004, 03:22:07 PM »
Oh, yes, I've read that the lucky t-shirts are worth about 4 points just by themselves.  If you wear the lucky underwear its another 4.  The only thing is that you have to wear the lucky underwear for the entire 2 weeks prior to the LSAT.  Can't take 'em off.  Does it make you smarter?  Well, no but your score will increase 4 points just from being able to take the test with nobody making noise sitting next to you.

jgruber

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2004, 05:34:41 PM »
It helps only if it is an official LSAT lucky t-shirt, which I have on sale on ebay.    8)

ruskiegirl

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2004, 12:25:52 PM »
I wrote my grandpa's name (he passed away a few yrs ago)and a small dedication across my chest.  The result didn't seem immediately obvious, as my LSAT was fairly close to what I had expected, but I DID get into my reach school.  Thanks Grandpa - I love you!!