Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Has anyone heard from Yale yet?  (Read 2064 times)

little_old_lady

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone heard from Yale yet?
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2004, 05:30:56 PM »
When I see that statistics about the numbers of applications schools like Harvard and Yale I always wonder how there can be 8000 people with numbers that give them even a remote chance of being admitted.  I wonder if a lot of people who don't even have the prayer of a chance apply?  I mean, really, how many people have LSAT scores in the top 1%?  That depends, of course, on how many people take the LSAT but there would have to be 800,000 testtakers for there to be 8000 people in the top 1%. 

So I guess a lot of people who don't stand a chance apply which makes me wonder why do they bother? 

abc12345

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2004, 05:39:41 PM »
i didnt apply but my friend is still waiting

Louder Than Bombs

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2004, 10:02:54 PM »
So I guess a lot of people who don't stand a chance apply which makes me wonder why do they bother? 

Probably in the hopes that maybe, just maybe, the new girl in the admissions office picks up the wrong stamp and slaps a big 'Accepted' on your app, then throws it into the pile without noticing...

Chris

little_old_lady

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2004, 10:04:51 PM »
I've heard that BIGLAW firms are innundated with resumes from people that the firm would never consider.  I guess it's the same phenomenon. 

Louder Than Bombs

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2004, 10:09:55 PM »
Well, some people probably think 'why the hell not', and others I think just have pretty unrealistic goals. Someone in my LSAT class told me he wants to go to NYU - later I learned that he is scoring in the 140's on his practice tests...

A lot of people who apply there proabbly come from W.A.S.P., Ivy League backgrounds. Their parents probably make them apply, since they went - or they think that [the parents'] wealth or prestige will get them in.

Who knows? I didn't apply there - why waste $70?

Chris

zpops

• Sr. Citizen
  • Going to NYU in the fall! 3.99/175
    • AOL Instant Messenger - zp0ps
    • View Profile
    • The Digital Rant
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2004, 10:13:01 PM »
They'll make $56000 this year on applications alone.  When you consider the fact that they throw away about 75% of those (I was actually told this, although not in so many words, by the head of admissions), that's quite a bit of money for a little flick of the wrist. . .
www.thedigitalrant.com - A site for discussions on books, movies, video games and other forms of entertainment.  We're just starting out, so stop on by, if you have the chance.

toiysam

• MSN Messenger - toiysam@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • 2LawSchool
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2004, 11:09:03 AM »
If you check the yale brochure you will find people admited with really low gpas (lower than 3.5s)and lsats in the 150s. mmm...

visit http://2lawschool.blog-city.com

jas9999

• Sr. Citizen
  • Actual Law Student
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2004, 12:30:31 PM »
you're missing a zero. 8000 aps x $70 per app is $560,000. i presume it was just a typo, since the point is right. law schools make a ton off apps.

zpops

• Sr. Citizen
  • Going to NYU in the fall! 3.99/175
    • AOL Instant Messenger - zp0ps
    • View Profile
    • The Digital Rant
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2004, 01:12:40 PM »
you're missing a zero. 8000 aps x $70 per app is $560,000. i presume it was just a typo, since the point is right. law schools make a ton off apps.

Thanks for catching the typo.  56000 wouldn't be a very big deal to a law school. . .

toiysam - don't forget about the legacies and URMs.  It seems more unfair at a school like yale or harvard that they accept legacies and urms with lower numbers, since the general numbers are so absurdly high. . .
www.thedigitalrant.com - A site for discussions on books, movies, video games and other forms of entertainment.  We're just starting out, so stop on by, if you have the chance.

nathanielmark

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2004, 01:24:58 PM »
Yes, the fact that a fair amount of people are admitted to Yale law every year with average numbers is a living testimony to the fact that the class system is alive and well here in the land of the free.