Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Has anyone heard from Yale yet?  (Read 2045 times)

dpk

• Stanford Law '07, 3.81 / 174 , UG '98 - CompE
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Has anyone heard from Yale yet?
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2004, 09:20:15 PM »
Yale actually has a pretty odd application review process. The Dean of Admissions reviews all applications at least once and weeds out definite rejections - I'm guessing this is about 75% of the applicant pool. The remaining applications are each reviewed by 3 different faculty members (out of a pool of 60 faculty), and rated from 2 to 4 by each professor. Any apps that get all 4s, for a total score of 12, are immediately accepted. 11s are kept on hold and are generally accepted after all the apps are reviewed, 10s and below are rejected. Legacy candidates (sons/daughters of alums) get a bonus +1 to their final score. The crazy thing is that there is really no consistency between the grading of various faculty, and because every app is only reviewed by 3 of the 60 total reviewers, you could get screwed or picked up depending on which side of the bed your reviewers got up on that morning.

The other thing is that about 80% of the students accepted by Yale end up going there - compared to 30% at Columbia and 40% at Stanford (Not sure about Harvard).

Anyways, I've met a couple yale admits - most of them applied really really early. I'm still waiting, but I will probably take my name off the list if I don't hear before the end of April.

zpops

• Sr. Citizen
  • Going to NYU in the fall! 3.99/175
    • AOL Instant Messenger - zp0ps
    • View Profile
    • The Digital Rant
    • Email
Re: Has anyone heard from Yale yet?
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2004, 11:08:54 PM »
I has told by the director of admissions that everything is contingent on the faculty, which really sucks.  One of my LoR's has a part about why a few profs at Yale (who the reccomender knows) would like to work with me, so I guess I have to hope that one of them is on the committee. :)  I really wonder how seriosuly they take LoR's at Yale, because mine are really strong.  I also took a huge chance, by having my 6th grade history teacher write me one!  We've been friends for years, and he's been reading my papers for the past 10 years, and when I asked the dean of admissions at Yale what he thought of the idea, he absolutly loved it.
www.thedigitalrant.com - A site for discussions on books, movies, video games and other forms of entertainment.  We're just starting out, so stop on by, if you have the chance.