Law School Discussion

Yale 250 Word Essay

The Dread Pirate Roberts

• Back to my non-secret secret identity...
    • View Profile
Re: Yale 250 Word Essay
« Reply #50 on: August 10, 2005, 12:19:05 PM »
.00000000034 chance at Yale!

Wooohooo!  Now I just have to decide to send my $70 to New Haven or take it to Las Vegas to say goodbye  :).

« Reply #51 on: August 10, 2005, 12:19:43 PM »
I agree with Max's advice that your essay shouldn't be too far out there (these are law professors after all, not creative writers) but I don't think you necessarily need to go with an intellectual topic. I think the best strategy is to use your 250 to offer something that is not contained elsewhere in your application. My personal statement (which I included as my answer to question 10) was all about my public interest work and my commitment to pursuing that work in the future, so I used my 250 to talk about my musical interests. This seems to have been the strategy that works for most people: Don't make your 250 a small version of your PS, but make it something different that compliments your PS and adds an additional element to your app.

Denny Crane

• Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 10, 2005, 12:20:27 PM »
Ok, I can't figure out if it's a good thing or a bad thing, but this website is infecting my brain.  Three months ago I wasn't going to apply to anyplace higher than BU (pegging HLS, CLS, & NYU as way out of reach).  Now I'm trying to decide if I can fit musings on butch/femme roles and internalized sexism into 250 words to apply to Yale.

My friends are gonna think I'm crazy if I tell them...

With your stats I have absolutely no idea why you would think you don't have a shot at the T14's.  I mean, Columbia, NYU, and even Harvard are definitely within reach.  I'm more cautious about Yale, but that's because no one is guaranteed to be admitted there (not even us lowly URM's).  Seriously, why did you think you had no shot at the top 5?  That's a little ridiculous.

The Dread Pirate Roberts

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 10, 2005, 12:25:04 PM »
With your stats I have absolutely no idea why you would think you don't have a shot at the T14's.  I mean, Columbia, NYU, and even Harvard are definitely within reach.  I'm more cautious about Yale, but that's because no one is guaranteed to be admitted there (not even us lowly URM's).  Seriously, why did you think you had no shot at the top 5?  That's a little ridiculous.

Well, I didn't have my LSAT score yet and was expecting around 170, and my GPA seemed crappy for the T5 (I had wicked smart friends in college, so I may have had a skewed perspective on that), given that I haven't done much of anything interesting, didn't write a senior thesis, have next to no interesting job experience, etc.

Also, I think it's possible that being a politically active liberal for the last five years has gotten me into an "assume the worst" mentality.  ;)

« Reply #54 on: August 10, 2005, 12:27:37 PM »
I agree with Swat07. Especially if you're interested in public interest law and activism, I would recommend applying to NYU and Yale. When I was at the Yale admitted students weekend, Dean Koh came to the queer students small group dinner and began recruiting us to help him with the briefing for the Solomon Amendment Supreme Court case, and then went into his commitment to queer rights as a general matter of civil rights and the way this commitment is onnected to his own experience as an immigrant from Korea. He's awesome, and very committed to public interest work.

maximumtennis82

« Reply #55 on: August 10, 2005, 12:35:48 PM »
I agree with Swat07. Especially if you're interested in public interest law and activism, I would recommend applying to NYU and Yale. When I was at the Yale admitted students weekend, Dean Koh came to the queer students small group dinner and began recruiting us to help him with the briefing for the Solomon Amendment Supreme Court case, and then went into his commitment to queer rights as a general matter of civil rights and the way this commitment is onnected to his own experience as an immigrant from Korea. He's awesome, and very committed to public interest work.

Really?  Damn.  I had to miss that dinner...hopefully something similar will occur during fall orientation...

The Dread Pirate Roberts

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 10, 2005, 12:40:09 PM »

That's amazing.  I've been kind of trying not to fall in love with Yale because of the odds, but I've heard so many great things.  So now I'm starting to obsess over the essay anyway.  They have to let somebody in, right?

maximumtennis82

« Reply #57 on: August 10, 2005, 12:46:05 PM »
That's amazing.  I've been kind of trying not to fall in love with Yale because of the odds, but I've heard so many great things.  So now I'm starting to obsess over the essay anyway.  They have to let somebody in, right?

sugersh- you mentioned on one of these threads that you were queer, yeah?  male/female/genderqueer?

I ask because if you are female, then I'd make sure to include this as part of your application package...at YHS there are plenty of queer men, but not many (any?...i recall the stanford gays saying they didn't really know of any in their years) queer females...my guess is that adcomms, in the search of diversity, might be extra-receptive to your app.

« Reply #58 on: August 10, 2005, 12:49:03 PM »
There are definitely queer women at YLS (there were maybe 5 at the queer students dinner, and my friend Julie who attended mentioned a few others who didn't make it to the dinner), although I didn't meet any from our class. Still, the number of queer women is definitely less than the number of queer men.

maximumtennis82

« Reply #59 on: August 10, 2005, 01:00:45 PM »
Oh, and if anybody wants somebody to look at their 250, feel free to PM me a copy...I've read about 10 from students who will be 1L's this year, so am beginning to think I have an idea of the type of diversity of 250s that have been admitted.