Law School Discussion

Yale 250 Word Essay

SanchoPanzo

• My avatar is hotter than your avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Yale 250 Word Essay
« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2005, 12:21:10 PM »
I am THIS close to being done with most of my apps (sent in 4 early action ones last week), and am also THIS close to just not applying to Yale because of its stupid personal statement requirement. I only have something like a 6% shot of getting in, anyhow ... but I might work on something this weekend if my boyfriend manages to convince me. Def interested in what other ppl are writing about ... my initial idea was to maybe write about the struggles of being a mexican vegetarian and tie it in with something political/intellectual, but that may change when I actually sit down and work on it. :)

Just wondering, how can you be done with most of your applications if most schools, and the LSAT don't even release applications until august?

That message is from Nov 2004. It was for the 2005-2006 cycle.

SkullTatt

« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2005, 05:11:22 PM »
I'm not applying to Yale, since the stats on their website indicate they've only admitted 2 people with my GPA/LSAT in the past 3 years. Which may be why I was able to just sit down and write the most awesome 250-word essay in about 15 minutes.

Here's what I figured out: 250 words is about the length of one of those fun "sidebar" articles in a magazine. To anybody having trouble, I recommend reading a bunch of those to get a feel of how much you can really say, then just have fun with it. Pick a bunch of topics and write about 20 of them, then narrow those down to the ones that turned out the most interesting.

« Reply #42 on: July 31, 2005, 09:46:25 AM »
good advice

A.

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2005, 04:39:23 PM »
1 and 3b have potential...but I don't know if they can be done properly in 250 words...

« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2005, 07:21:40 PM »
I have no advice to give because the 250 is just random, but if anyone wants to see mine drop me a PM.

maximumtennis82

« Reply #45 on: August 10, 2005, 11:46:33 AM »
I remember struggling with the Yale 250 heaps...so to be nice, below is a middle-level draft of the yale 250 that helped me get into YLS last year.

The emergency room doors of a state hospital burst open and a woman in urgent need of medical treatment is rushed in.  A doctor sees her immediately and diagnoses her with a lethal condition that is treatable, although only at exorbitant expense.  The woman has no insurance, so the cost of treatment will have to be absorbed by the hospital.  However, if the hospital spends any more money, it will begin to lose its ability to treat its current set of patients.  The doctor faces a dilemma.  Do his obligations lie in this woman’s interest or in the interests of those he knows will need help in the near future?
   A plethora of similar (although admittedly less dramatic) scenarios such as this exist in our current medical system.  Given the great depth of legal consideration that has been attributed to the rights of individuals in arenas where matters of life and death are not concerned, it should be surprising that a clear and complete account of how the rights of individuals interact with health-related regulations and policies has yet to be created.  It is imperative that this type of articulation occur as until it does there is no way to guaranteed that individuals are receiving equitable treatment from a system that massively influences their life quality.  The number of those who have unduly suffered from this negligence cannot be known, however by addressing these issues directly and working towards a conclusive set of rules we can ensure that this amount does not grow.

Denny Crane

• Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2005, 11:58:09 AM »
That draft was 253 words...  A little overzealous, aren't we? (j/k)

maximumtennis82

« Reply #47 on: August 10, 2005, 11:59:46 AM »
That draft was 253 words...  A little overzealous, aren't we? (j/k)

The fact that you counted indicates this is a pot vs. kettle situation, no?

;D

The Dread Pirate Roberts

• Back to my non-secret secret identity...
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 10, 2005, 12:01:57 PM »
Ok, I can't figure out if it's a good thing or a bad thing, but this website is infecting my brain.  Three months ago I wasn't going to apply to anyplace higher than BU (pegging HLS, CLS, & NYU as way out of reach).  Now I'm trying to decide if I can fit musings on butch/femme roles and internalized sexism into 250 words to apply to Yale.

My friends are gonna think I'm crazy if I tell them...

pippwul

• The Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 10, 2005, 12:16:05 PM »
Well, I guess it's a good think you happen upon LSD then, because with your numbers you definitely have a good shot at the T14...and maybe even .00000000034 chance at Yale! I think the average rate is somewhere around .0000000000000000000001, so good luck ;)