Law School Discussion

Yale 250 Word Essay

buster

Re: Yale 250 Word Essay
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2004, 07:16:16 AM »
Um...are you really a professional contortionist?

I'm struggling with this as well... I started writing about being a professional contortionist, but now I'm wondering if I should write about something else... perhaps my brother being a TBI, who I also had legal custody of during college... opinions?

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2004, 07:05:07 PM »
I'm also struggling with what kind of topic... and also wrapping up any kind of topic in 250 words... I have two drafts written - one is about skydiving (anecdote about a skydiving emergency, trying to wrap it up with some point about how important it is to me to continually challenge myself/take risks etc but yeah, the wrap-up is kinda trite) and one about realizing that "merit" is largely a matter of luck at birth (which I start with a story about a specific realization during a class and end with, well, haven't come up with a good point to end on...)

So pretty much I'm stumped... any thoughts on which topic sounds most promising? 

« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2004, 07:32:31 PM »
Yeah, I've been leaning towards the skydiving one myself... have you figured yours out yet? I have to admit the professional contortionist topic sounds easier than the one about your brother as far as 250 words goes... especially as you could use the latter for your additional PS(?)

I'm sure they have this 250 word requirement just to keep down the number of applications... it's even more difficult than I thought it would be...

Javert

• Time.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Rov47
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of Sisyphus
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2004, 08:27:59 PM »
I have my Yale essay; 245 words. If anybody is willing to trade/proofread, email me at lsat@exisle.net

amelus

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2004, 10:43:44 PM »
i dont know if this good news or bad news--i know s/o who recently got into yale and wrote on that EXACT same topic.  skydiving = challenge/take risks.

« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2004, 08:26:53 AM »
I'm not sure if that's good news or bad news, either... judging by the number of lawyers who jump at the DZ I go to I wouldn't be surprised if there are lots of skydiving applicants... with any luck I'll be the only one this cycle!  :)

buster

« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2004, 08:43:21 AM »
That's great! Now I can say I know a professional contortionist -- if you don't mind, of course.

Um...are you really a professional contortionist?

Yes. I never sought out the profession. When I started modeling an agency asked if I would perform as a contortionist for the opening of a children's hospital, and it's just a niche that continued.

TiredStudent

• C'est la Vie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2004, 09:14:27 AM »
Thanks for posting that link..that essay was really good, It makes me think mine sucks or confirms the feelings I already had :-)

DOWNY COOLEY

« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2004, 10:58:22 PM »
People make up all sorts of sh*t on there. Don't believe any of it. It's all LIES LIES LIES.

DOWNY

WitterUin4

• How I thought of ad comms
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2004, 04:03:34 PM »
That's great! Now I can say I know a professional contortionist -- if you don't mind, of course.

Sure... I'll even post a pic of one pose... in a futile attempt to appease Downy and Kelly

I wanna see, too!!  One of my nicknames is "Gumby" but I'm not a contortionist. I just sit like a pretzel and I can put both legs behind my head. It's more like a post-gymnastics thing than some sort of nasty thing.  I have bendable hip flexors, I suppose. :-X