Law School Discussion

lmao, illinois

buster

Re: lmao, illinois
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2004, 11:58:52 AM »
No, but it would still have been obnoxious.

i wonder if that email would have been funny if it came from Harvard, Yale, or Penn.

!@#$%

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2004, 12:00:44 PM »
Isn't it amazing what working at a law schools admissions official has accomplished? In recent weeks, you have undoubtedly heard from a number of applicants--a few obvious admits, some borderline and many who are Cooley material.

I'm a solid member of the first group. Born in 1983, I have long been recognized as one of our nation's premier law student applicants and boast instant name recognition, a renowned undergraduate career, and am one of the most diverse and talented students anywhere.

Consider the following facts:

178, HTH.

I got the same email too.  And about an 8-hour-late email from LSAC notifying me that they sent my report to Northwestern.

A_guy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2004, 12:01:31 PM »
"but to say "some law schools youve heard of and some you havent, but us you definitely have!" is pretty hilarious, especially for me, since i don't know a thing about UI."

their email said they are in the group of famous law schools and that is accurate.  its not presumptious it is a fact.  it didn't say u have heard of them. just b/c u haven't heard of them doesn't mean they are not famous or well respected or national known as one of the countries top law schools.  

Javert

• Time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2004, 12:06:09 PM »
it didn't say u have heard of them. tries top law schools. 

Actually, IMO it did.

In recent weeks, you have undoubtedly heard from a number of law schools--a few quite famous, some familiar and many you didn't know existed.

The University of Illinois is a solid member of the first group.

The phrasing creates three different groups, and pretty heavily implies that they're DISTINCT groups, without overlap. By putting themselves in the first group, they pretty much insist you have heard of them. I'm not sure if that was the intent, but that's how it reads.

Besides, this is the same kind of critical reading admissions officers are going to do to our personal statements. It seems only fair to turn the tables for once...

lexylit

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2004, 12:07:07 PM »
"actually kato, that's exactly what it means."

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2004, 12:08:38 PM »
Dear Alexandra:

Isn't it amazing what checking a small box on your LSAT registration form has accomplished? In recent weeks, you have undoubtedly heard from a number of law schools--a few quite famous, some familiar and many you didn't know existed.

The University of Illinois is a solid member of the first group.

OH, REALLY? are we being perhaps a tad presumptuous?

You just have to wonder where they're going with this from a marketing perspective. If a school were in fact undeniably included in the "famous or familiar to most people" category, then you'd think they wouldn't need to mention that fact. It's not as if being famous is in itself any indication of quality. Just ask JLo. ;)

I'm pretty sure that the U. of Illinois must have more compelling things that they could say to attract prospective students than: "Hey - You've heard of us, right?"

lexylit

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2004, 12:11:03 PM »
at the risk of launching yet another thread comparing law schools to suitors, UI is acting like the guy at the bar who's all "so i assume my reputation has preceded me? well let it be known that i'm one of the 25 best-looking men here this evening" <flash sleazy grin>

scc

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2004, 12:26:16 PM »
If Harvard or Yale has sent the email, it would have been an arrogant move on their part.  Since U of I sent it, it's still arrogant but also funny since it isn't really the case.  If U of Michigan had sent it, it would have been funny to me because I hadn't realized that Michigan had a good law school until I started researching schools this summer.

For example, very few people from my high school had ever heard of my undergrad even though it was a good school, but if I had gone around telling people that they should know of it because it's famous, I would have been a feminine hygiene product.

dr_draino

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2004, 12:30:22 PM »
At first I was like "Lex, that's harsh, that's a school that I have considered applying to as a reach"...then I looked at it again and realized that it'd be pretty f-ing funny for any school to send this out.  

Yale:  There are famous school...and then..well, we understand.  Yale, WE are famous.

Lulu

« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2004, 12:31:35 PM »
Haha, I got it too. Good laugh (not at the school, at the email. Just like we laughed at Chicago's technicolor email)