Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I goofed royally  (Read 1086 times)

Nylo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: I goofed royally
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2004, 04:07:41 PM »
Don't draw attention to it. Chances are they won't even notice!

It's like going on a first date and saying "Look! I have a teeny-weeny zit right above my left eyebrow - but you still like me, right?"

Just let it go.

caffeine and nicotine addict

• Sr. Citizen
  • Stay back - This is MY piss-pot!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - tchnav
    • View Profile
    • Third Tier Toilet
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2004, 04:17:35 PM »
Fix it for the next apps, but let it go for the ones that are already gone. Don't call attention to yourself.
In at GULC PT/ED - WooHoo!

clora

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2004, 05:04:38 PM »
I don't know how all schools feel, but this is from the American University Website FAQ's:

Can I update or amend my application at a later date?
Once you submit documents to our office, they become our property. Please be sure to proof any information before you submit it. Due to the size of our applicant pool, our counselors will be unable to add corrected personal statements or resumes to your file. Only send an addendum to your counselor if it contains completely new information.

calguy815

• Sr. Citizen
  • NYU '07
    • AOL Instant Messenger - calguy815
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2004, 10:09:00 PM »
This might make you feel better:  I did the same thing.  In fact, I made several mistakes.

1)  I put in the wrong dates on my application for one of my jobs, which did not match my resume.
2)  I misspelled the name of one of my positions on my resume.  In fact, it was the job I just held and referred to in my personal statement.

Stupid?  Yeah, of course.  I stressed over it too, but in the end, just decided to leave it alone.  Why pull attention to it?  That'll only guarantee that the mistake is found.

Who knows... maybe that was the difference between an acceptance or rejection at Harvard.  But what's done is done.  Point is, I got into great schools, and the ones who admitted me I expected and the ones who rejected me I expected.  Didn't seem to make much of a difference to me.

Good luck.  But I do feel your pain.

mememe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2004, 10:25:45 AM »
I threw caution in the wind and sent amended resumes. 
Oh well.
I had major mixed feelings about it last night and ultimately decided that a mistake on your resume is a tremendous error.  If I applied for a job with an error on my resume, I would expect my resume to end up in the trash can. 
I'm lucky if they didn't notice my error.  I'm screwed if they do, and only slightly less screwed with a corrected copy sitting right next to the botched copy.  Since my luck has never been very good, I chose to send amended copies.

The moral of this story: Even if you feel you are behind in the app process, do NOT rush to send in your apps.  Early is not better if early means wrong. 

uugh.  :(  I wish I had better numbers.
USF 2005

mememe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2004, 05:01:23 PM »
In case anyone cares, I just spoke to USD and the admissions office said not to worry about it.  They said they really only look at grades and LSAT and a minor screw up on the resume doesn't really matter.
USF 2005

runner8

• At the Cape of Good Hope
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2004, 08:13:12 PM »
On four of my applications I was listed as the "Vide" President of an organization.  I agonized over it for a while, but was accepted at the University of Pittsburgh last week.  I guess they either did not notice or it wasn't a big deal.  Maybe if you do not make a big deal, neither will they.
Accepted: Pitt, UK, Saint Louis (w/39K), Seton Hall(w/24K), Stetson (full ride), Maryland, Case Western
Rejected: BU