Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: When do schools fly you out to visit?  (Read 1518 times)

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: When do schools fly you out to visit?
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2004, 11:01:56 PM »
stanford flies out all their admitted students (it's done wonders for their matriculation rate, apparently), duke flies out some students, i think boalt might have at some point.

a school isn't going to call you up and be like, "hey, wanna come?  let us pay."  that would be a stupid waste of money.  i'm thinking you'll have to call and ask yourself.
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=TDPookie1

accepted at yale.  how the hell did i pull this one off?

calguy815

• Sr. Citizen
  • NYU '07
    • AOL Instant Messenger - calguy815
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2004, 12:54:58 AM »
Most CA schools actually do fly you out.  And yes, it's usually coordinated with their Admitted Students Day.  Stanford and Boalt are the two that flies the most people out (in fact, my friend at Boalt insists they offer this to ALL admits, and I have not yet verified this... though they do fly out a huge number for sure).  UCLA flew me out and put me up at a hotel for 3 nights, and reimbursed me for all expenses including any food or taxi fare I incurred.  So I know UCLA does it, and I hear USC does the same for some of its applicants.  The only other schools where I've personally known people who have been flown out is Chicago and Georgetown.  Keep in mind though that aside from maybe Boalt and Stanford, most schools only fly out a small number of people, so don't expect it... but enjoy it if you get it.

I've also known people who got flown in free after calling the admissions office and explaining to them how much they'd like to attend the admitted students day but have financial issues so they can't afford a plane ticket.  So might as well call and try if you're serious about a school.  Use your discretion though.  Funds are usually limited and trust me, you'll feel very attached to these schools because they treat you so well.  Makes saying no that much harder.

Good luck.

fragolina

• Sr. Citizen
  • *cluck cluck*
    • AOL Instant Messenger - fragolina+moda
    • View Profile
    • Fragolina
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2004, 12:59:29 AM »
WOW I had no idea that schools even did this...
The only thing I had heard about the matter was from Chicago Kent - something about applying to their honors program and then being flown there to attend an interview weekend? I don't want to attend CK though...

This gives me even more reason to hope for acceptances as CA schools... This board is bad for me  :P
Fragolina

Frago on LSN
In: Chicago, UMich, UVA, G-town, UCLA, Indy-B, Rutgers, MSU, Cornell
Praying: NYU, Columbia
Withdrawn: NWU, W&M, W&L, GWU, USC, BU
Out: HLS, SLS

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2004, 01:10:56 AM »
calguy, do you think UCLA will fly me in?  i'm about 2-3 miles away.  maybe a helicopter?   ;D

did NYU fly you or anyone else out?
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=TDPookie1

accepted at yale.  how the hell did i pull this one off?

calguy815

• Sr. Citizen
  • NYU '07
    • AOL Instant Messenger - calguy815
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2004, 01:19:11 AM »
For those that live that close, they'll reimburse your gas and mileage.  Then they'll take you out to dinner, and wine and dine you like crazy.  Absent amazing numbers like 3.9/178, it's hard to gauge who they'll do it for.  Again, good luck though.  I'm sure getting in will be no problem for you, but getting all the perks... guess we'll see.

NYU didn't fly me out, and I haven't really asked anyone else.  We don't really talk about admissions or LSAT or grades here, so I haven't had the chance.  All the info I have is from the admitted students days I went to at various schools.

TLFKARG

« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2004, 02:03:22 AM »
Boalt pays for all admitted students to come to Admit Day in April.  If you live out of state, they will pay for up to 300 dollars and some lesser amount if you live in state.

Most admit days are in the Spring, when incoming classes are pretty much selected.  As far as I know, it is not common practice for most schools to fly you out. 

melissamw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2004, 08:45:18 AM »
Would it be bad to decide to apply to Boalt for a free trip to CA?

Laura

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2004, 10:11:37 AM »
Thanks for the good info Ruskie.