Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: GPA addendum necessary?  (Read 951 times)

prospect

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I'll charm you yet..."
    • View Profile
GPA addendum necessary?
« on: November 08, 2004, 10:51:15 AM »
I'm CPA, been in the workforce for 12 yrs & scored very well on the LSAT.  Based on my score, my work experience & time away from UG, I'm shooting for top ten schools.

My school calculated GPA was a 3.2 & might trend lower with the LSAC scaling, though.  I don't have a good excuse for my grades: I was immature my first couple of yrs in school.  Once I hit my upper level accounting courses, my grades improved drastically - probably above 3.5 - and I made deans list most if not all semesters my junior & senior year. 

Adcomms will see this trending on my transcript & know what I accomplished after school from my resume, ps & LORs. My question is whether I need to address my grades with an addendum?  I did have a learning experience after my sophomore year, which I think would make a compelling story, if necessary. 

KittenWithStix

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: GPA addendum necessary?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2004, 12:48:44 PM »
I had a similiar situation.  I just decided to let it stand.  I didn't know what to say about my GPA and I didn't want to make something up.  I certainly wasn't stupid but I didn't spend much time studying either.  Hopefully, my 20 years of executive WE will overshadow it.
DING! Ok, Peruna, back to the barn....

Bouley

• View Profile
Re: GPA addendum necessary?
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2004, 03:21:31 PM »
I wouldn't write an addendum. They know how to read a transcript and will see the trend. If you had a compelling reason for a bad first couple of years that would be different ... I think if your LSAT is in the 170+ range you have a good shot at highly ranked schools.