Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: third tier toilet Ranking  (Read 57541 times)

koggy

Re: third tier toilet Ranking
« Reply #60 on: March 27, 2005, 10:15:30 PM »
Ooh. . .apparently my badass LSAT score isn't enough to get me a fee waiver at Thomas Jefferson School of Law (now THAT'S depressing), but I just got something in the mail from them today, enticing me by saying that anyone who is accepted who got a 150 or higher on the LSAT will at the very least get a half tuition scholarship (up to full tuition) for 3 full years.  That's tempting to get law school paid for except for the fact that you'll probably have to pay for it for the next 50 years of your life when no one in their right mind will hire you. 

Matoka
(or anyone else that received the Thomas Jefferson correspondence this week):

Would you mind looking at it again and confirm what they said about the LSAT scholarship?  Their website has a chart with LSAT scores which correspond to different levels of scholarships, and your post sounds significantly better.  Does your info have GPA stipulations?  Nothing like aspiring for a 4 tier!

koggy

« Reply #61 on: March 27, 2005, 10:16:55 PM »
I mean me (aspiring for the 4th tier!).

RyanH

« Reply #62 on: March 28, 2005, 07:40:36 PM »
I love law school, but what I hate seeing is all the pretentious bastards that attend. Law School is something special that only a portion of the population will get the opportunity to revel in. I am currently in my second year at UT, had the option to attend a higher ranked school, but b/c I live in TX you can't beat the in state tuition. For those who continue to trash talk third tier toilets remember that they, like you, are human beings aspiring to be all that they can be. Just because they are not quite as academically inclined as you, doesn't make you a better person. Some people are quicker than others. It's a fact. But to constantly create threads that exploit this vulnerability is stupid. Unless you are at Yale, remember, there are people faster than you and I would hope they have the same modest respect that you should show to those at a lower ranked school. I am tired of hearing at my own school about how its the best school in Texas. I love that it is and I am honored for the privilege to attend, but it doesn't make me a better person. What makes you a better person is a mutual respect for your law school comrades, whether they are in your particular jurisdiction or not. Sorry for the long post, but the sadistic attacks are tiresome and unnecessary.

Take care and good luck to all,

Ryan

mxpocc

« Reply #63 on: March 28, 2005, 07:45:57 PM »
I didn't think Texas was a model for modesty--after all, isn't one of your mottos "everything's bigger in Texas"?

just poking fun  ;)

RyanH

« Reply #64 on: March 28, 2005, 08:00:22 PM »
I didn't think Texas was a model for modesty--after all, isn't one of your mottos "everything's bigger in Texas"?

just poking fun  ;)

That's also a fact. :)

jeflord

• Fix it!
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - akalakk
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 28, 2005, 08:45:27 PM »
I love law school, but what I hate seeing is all the pretentious bastards that attend. Law School is something special that only a portion of the population will get the opportunity to revel in. I am currently in my second year at UT, had the option to attend a higher ranked school, but b/c I live in TX you can't beat the in state tuition. For those who continue to trash talk third tier toilets remember that they, like you, are human beings aspiring to be all that they can be. Just because they are not quite as academically inclined as you, doesn't make you a better person. Some people are quicker than others. It's a fact. But to constantly create threads that exploit this vulnerability is stupid. Unless you are at Yale, remember, there are people faster than you and I would hope they have the same modest respect that you should show to those at a lower ranked school. I am tired of hearing at my own school about how its the best school in Texas. I love that it is and I am honored for the privilege to attend, but it doesn't make me a better person. What makes you a better person is a mutual respect for your law school comrades, whether they are in your particular jurisdiction or not. Sorry for the long post, but the sadistic attacks are tiresome and unnecessary.

Ryan

Well put!

hey not you hey

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hey. Not you. Hey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 29, 2005, 02:27:18 AM »

Ryan

Eh, I like the sentiment, but I think you're kind of missing the point that many 3rd tier attendees are trying to make on this board; going to a 3rd tier school does not necessarily have ANY bearing on how mentally swift one is or how academically inclined they are.  There are a ton of factors that play into where one goes to school and what they do with their life in general.  You helped make this point when you brought up why you attended a lower-ranked school and then refuted it in your next couple of sentences.  I understand where you're coming from though, and I definitely agree that attacks by uber-elitists on third and fourth tier attendees is quite idiotic.  If you wouldn't say it to someones face, don't say it on a message board.

RyanH

« Reply #67 on: March 29, 2005, 05:48:56 AM »

Ryan

Eh, I like the sentiment, but I think you're kind of missing the point that many 3rd tier attendees are trying to make on this board; going to a 3rd tier school does not necessarily have ANY bearing on how mentally swift one is or how academically inclined they are.  There are a ton of factors that play into where one goes to school and what they do with their life in general.  You helped make this point when you brought up why you attended a lower-ranked school and then refuted it in your next couple of sentences.  I understand where you're coming from though, and I definitely agree that attacks by uber-elitists on third and fourth tier attendees is quite idiotic.  If you wouldn't say it to someones face, don't say it on a message board.

I wasn't referring to the point that 3rd tier attendees are trying to make. Instead, I just wanted to make the statement that attacks one those who are at lower tier LSs don't deserve the constant barrage of assaults that they receive on a continuous basis from other individuals who are 'claiming' that they attending a T1 school. I can understand for many reasons why one would want to attend a lower tier law school and completely agree that ranking, although will always bear some weight, there are also many other factors to consider. So to epitomize my argument here, it is the assult on third tier schools rather than those that are choosing the schools regardless of reason. In any matter, it is of no significant consequence. Take care.

Ryan

PSUDSL08

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LS #'s
« Reply #68 on: March 29, 2005, 01:42:51 PM »

Ryan

Agree with both of you...The people who designate T3/T4 schools as the "toilet tier" obviously lack the maturity and self-esteem to appreciate their own accomplishments without trampling on the achievements of others. I would estimate that most of these people are college seniors who have no real work experience (i.e. full-time high pressure jobs), and don't understand that the name of your school doesnt mean everything. Whether you're going to a law school ranked 1st or 118th, you should be proud of the fact that you're going to do something that most people don't have the motivation or ability to do. Confidence is a great attribute, but arrogance is a cancer. I bet the self-esteem of these individuals would plummet even further if coming out of law school, their first boss happens to be a "toilet tier" grad.
Also, just because you're going to a T14 or a top 50 school, doesn't necessarily mean that you're more intelligent or capable than certain individuals at a T3/T4 school. My father is a homicide prosecutor and a grad from a T3 school. He's just been promoted to a supervisor position over other attorneys who graduated from T1 schools. He also works with judges who are graduates from Ohio Northern. In fact, in his department is a Columbia grad who I've been told is a "terrible trial lawyer". He's defined as extremely "booksmart" but lacks the intangibles that it takes to be a successful trial attorney.
Doing well/poorly in undergrad, scoring high/low on the LSAT, and attending a top law school/T4 doesn't mean anything until you get out in the real world and show what you're made of. Those of us going to lower ranked schools may just have to work a little harder to prove ourselves...but hey, isn't that what it's all about?

MSUDuster

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 29, 2005, 01:46:35 PM »
"Those of us going to lower ranked schools may just have to work a little harder to prove ourselves...but hey, isn't that what it's all about?"

Wrong! It's about makin bling, buyin hot cars (with rims and a boomin system), fast women, and booze.

hehe