Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: NYU v. Columbia  (Read 9158 times)

ragdoll47

• View Profile
NYU v. Columbia
« on: November 07, 2004, 07:09:24 PM »
thoughts?  i read somewhere recently that Columbia has more of a corporate focus, which was surprising to me..anybody know anything about the quality of life at either of these?

thanks!

Javert

• Sr. Citizen
  • Time.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Rov47
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of Sisyphus
Re: NYU v. Columbia
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2004, 07:25:06 PM »
I'm applying to both. The one that lets me in is awesome; the other one is a TTT.
Attending: U Texas

"The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination." -- Garak, "Improbable Cause", Deep Space Nine

TheDecline

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2004, 07:32:46 PM »
I read a thread on XOXO talking about how the quality of life at Columbia was the worst out of all the T14 and NYU probably had the best quality of life in the T14.

Casper

• Sr. Citizen
  • Casper, the friendly Ghost.
    • View Profile
    • DANY
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2004, 07:40:10 PM »
I read a thread on XOXO talking about how the quality of life at Columbia was the worst out of all the T14 and NYU probably had the best quality of life in the T14.

That's the result of location of each law school.  NYU is located in east village, compared to columbia, which is located in upper manhattan, 116th street.  While columbia has an enclosed campus, vs. NYU which has buildings and virtually no campus.  When you're in the village, you're most closer to everything, bars, bowling, clubs, etc.  While up in columbia, you have bars, and a bad surrounding area.

Drawing dead, serving 25 to life.

Sportseditor23

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2004, 07:41:36 PM »
Funny thing is you can get to NYU from Columbia in 15-20 minutes on the express, so it's not that big of deal.
You can't get accepted to a school if you don't apply

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=Sportseditor23

GoHuskies05

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2004, 07:49:59 PM »
I think the differnce in location is very much to your personal preference, with regards to which area you will like. 

The OP is correct about the 20 minute train ride, but if we look at the areas as exclusive from one another (which they're obviously not), I think you can easily say that NYU offers an atmosphere that Columbia does not, and that Columbia does the same. 

Personally, I don't think there is a substitute for experience, and I'm not sure how you can gain an understanding for Morningside Heights if you don't live it.  You are very close to a culture mix, and while all of Manhattan is a huge culture mix, you don't often feel a culture clash so much until you get up around 125th street on the Upper West Side. 

If you're not into that, and you're looking for fun, expensive bars, in the midst of the capital of "artsy", then NYU is probably a better fit, but again, no one, especially myself, is an expert, so maybe an extended visit to Manhattan isn't the worst idea.

It's a moot point for me, but just my two cents.

ragdoll47

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2004, 08:02:04 PM »
thanks for your helpful replies..

any thoughts on the schools themselves?  student body, profs, facilities, housing, job prospects afterwards (esp non-corporate jobs).

am i wrong to assume that columbia has a better reputation?  or are the two pretty similar..

T-Money

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2004, 08:14:31 PM »
I'd say that the difference in reputation between the two is negligible, either way you'd be going to a really great school, seems like personal preference, really.  As far as housing, if you want to live close to the school, Columbia's gonna be a little cheaper.  A basic studio in morningside heights/harlem = $1000-1200/mo or so, in the village you're looking at more like $1500-2000 and on up from there.  That said, you don't have to live in the school's neighborhood, just thought that might be kinda helpful...  Also, NYU has lots of nice student housing, I don't know about Columbia and I think NYU might be a little stronger in terms of public interest. 

naomi288

• Sr. Citizen
  • soon to be St John's 1L
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2004, 08:23:08 PM »
NYU! was my dream school, but the lsat says i'm not smart enough  :(
3.67 159/164
and.......the admissions process is over! yay!
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=naomi288

amelus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2004, 08:58:58 PM »
so not much diff in prof's (e.g. interest/ability to teach) and students (e.g. competitiveness/friendliness and diversity) b/w the 2?

i'm still trying to figure out diff's b/w them.  i see some minor ones mentioned, but is there nothing significant that distinguishes the two?