Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: NYU v. Columbia  (Read 9362 times)

uponcripplecreek

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: NYU v. Columbia
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2004, 11:09:32 PM »
I always hear talk about how NYU beats Columbia on location, but you know what? I think I'd actually prefer Columbia's location.  I thought the Columbia campus was absolutely beautiful, and also enjoyed walking around the surrounding neighborhood with all the old brownstones.  Columbia seems to be much quieter and less hectic than the NYU area, and I think that would be very helpful to my psychological state during law school.  Sure, it's not in the village but it still is in New York City with everything your heart could possibly desire a mere 15-20 minutes away via public transportation. 

I've also heard that Columbia has a very strong corporate focus, which would lead me to believe that I would feel like a better fit with the NYU student body. 

We'll see, I'm applying to both and would be plenty thrilled if my decision came down to one of these two wonderful schools. 

jaxon

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2004, 11:32:26 PM »
columbia is in a fine neighborhood..  people think it is bad because it is uptown, but it is more authentic (IMO) than the village.. i would rather live in MH than GV.. but thats just me..  MH is not harlem... and even harlem is not really a bad neighborhood - it is just a black neighborhood.. it has bad parts but 125th street is pretty vibrant and has a lot of shopping and such.  you just have to stay out of projects (and out of east harlem)

naomi288

• Sr. Citizen
  • soon to be St John's 1L
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2004, 11:51:12 PM »
the village is much better than morningside heights! even though the neighborhood is getting a little better b/c columbia has bought up a lot of the area, its still not as safe as nyu's location, why do u think its so much cheaper to live there?
3.67 159/164
and.......the admissions process is over! yay!
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=naomi288

mikiimai

• Sr. Citizen
  • me and my sis 18 years ago.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2004, 11:56:36 PM »
columbia campus is stunning!!!

jaxon

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2004, 11:57:05 PM »
it is not unsafe.. the village is more expensive because it is such a fun area to be in.. if it were me i would rather live someplace quiet so i could escape the scene when i wanted to.. but to each his own.. MH is not an unsafe hood at all.. you might feel that way, but its more a perception than a reality.  i bet there is more crime in the village -seriously

the village is much better than morningside heights! even though the neighborhood is getting a little better b/c columbia has bought up a lot of the area, its still not as safe as nyu's location, why do u think its so much cheaper to live there?

amelus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2004, 12:11:19 AM »
when e/o's done clarifying nicer/safer location can s/o mention what other diff's exist b/w the two...if any?  other diff's like prof/students etc.. (yea, i figure i'll keep asking this, hoping s/o knows of a significant diff. b/w the 2 academically.  not to belittle location, it is important, but i'd be curious what other diff's exist)

jaxon

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2004, 12:12:55 AM »
columbia is more prestigious.  i would choose columbia for that reason alone.

when e/o's done clarifying nicer/safer location can s/o mention what other diff's exist b/w the two...if any?  other diff's like prof/students etc.. (yea, i figure i'll keep asking this, hoping s/o knows of a significant diff. b/w the 2 academically.  not to belittle location, it is important, but i'd be curious what other diff's exist)

mikiimai

• Sr. Citizen
  • me and my sis 18 years ago.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2004, 12:19:59 AM »
columbia is more prestigious.  i would choose columbia for that reason alone.

agreed. it is ivy, has more prestigious UG, and more historically well established.

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• LSD Obsessed
  • "make a friend who was once a stranger" br.war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2004, 12:23:07 AM »
thoughts?  i read somewhere recently that Columbia has more of a corporate focus, which was surprising to me..anybody know anything about the quality of life at either of these?

thanks!

if you mean...night life....the upper west side is okay...where columbia is located...the upper west side has a nightlife...

but, nyu is downtown between the east and west villages...

columbia is a little more impressive...on a resume...
but honestly, experience is more impressive than that...

downtown is more diverse and much more lively...so the area around nyu has an all night nightlife.

but if you go to columbia...you just grab a subway and you are downtown...

so...to me it doesn't really matter.

its nyc, lass...the quality of life applies really to the city...and how much travelling you want to do on the train...the subway is a way of life, however...

q

If you prick us, do we not bleed?  
  if you tickle us, do we not laugh? if you poison  
  us, do we not die? and if you wrong us, shall we not  
  revenge? m.of v. w.shaka                                             speare

naomi288

• Sr. Citizen
  • soon to be St John's 1L
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2004, 12:43:42 AM »
so i did a little research on these two neighborhoods, something a girl might want to know if deciding between the 2.....in 2004 there were 5 rapes reported in the precint where NYU is, down 37% from last year, in the precinct where columbia is, 20 rapes were reported up 150% from last year? just some facts and figuresnot saying columbia isn't safe, but the areas around it aren't the greatest, although u have to be careful anywhere u are in the city, i think i'm just biased b/c i always wanted to go to NYU!
3.67 159/164
and.......the admissions process is over! yay!
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=naomi288