Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: National Lawyers Guild ?  (Read 1254 times)

jgruber

National Lawyers Guild ?
« on: April 07, 2004, 11:10:24 AM »
Does anyone know anything about the National Laywers Guild?

bobfett33

Re: National Lawyers Guild ?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2004, 07:34:12 PM »
They're often known as "Lefty Lawyers."  They're a considerably liberal lawyer's organization; oftentimes, you will spot NLG observers at political demonstrations (they wear bright green caps).

jgruber

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2004, 08:06:06 PM »
Liberal covers a wide range.

ajlynnette

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2004, 01:23:18 AM »
fett, what kinda demonstrations are we talkin' about? and i find that whole 'green cap' thing quite...umm...interesting. lol i'm noticing my midwestern-ness coming out when i call something 'interesting'. ;D

they sound somewhat influential as well...are they?

jgruber

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2004, 10:52:02 AM »
I read that some groups were providing legal observers at the demonstrations at the WTO meetings.  They wore these green caps to distinquish themselves from the demonstrators.

Their role was -- at least I read -- to document any illegal activity on the part of the demonstrators or authorities.

Hey, I only know what I read.   :)

bobfett33

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2004, 04:11:32 PM »
To my knowledge, the purpose of the NLG's presence has NEVER been to observe or document illegal activities committed by demonstrators - for Christ's sake, there are usually hundreds of police, often along with a dozen or so agent-provocateurs ready to do that.

The NLG's presence at demonstrations is to observe the POLICE, who have absolutely no official oversight at such events.  The reason?  I've been to lots of demonstrations, and I've never seen police officers wrongfully (or rightfully, for that matter) getting the *&^% kicked out of them by demonstrators - however, the reverse of this happens all the time.

jgruber

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2004, 03:07:55 PM »
I was suggesting that their status as observers would require them to observe all parties.  I have to agree that evidence of demonstrator misconduct seems very slim.

To my knowledge, the purpose of the NLG's presence has NEVER been to observe or document illegal activities committed by demonstrators - for Christ's sake, there are usually hundreds of police, often along with a dozen or so agent-provocateurs ready to do that.

The NLG's presence at demonstrations is to observe the POLICE, who have absolutely no official oversight at such events.  The reason?  I've been to lots of demonstrations, and I've never seen police officers wrongfully (or rightfully, for that matter) getting the *&^% kicked out of them by demonstrators - however, the reverse of this happens all the time.