Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What is the Deal!!!!  (Read 947 times)

mattbulldawg

• View Profile
What is the Deal!!!!
« on: April 07, 2004, 09:53:54 AM »
Why the hell is taking law schools so long to make desicions?  The latest I applied to any school was 2/4/04 (complete date).  And the only two that I have heard from were the ones I applied to last.  Three big state schools have had my applicaiton for almost 4 1/2 months now!  I am about to just give up and continue working my current job with no further aspiration of going to law school.  I never would have guessed that this situation would have been so drawn out and stressful.  My situation demands that I give my wife, a recent graduate of a master's of physical therapy, some idea of where we will be living next year.  Can't believe that I haven't heard either way from Illinois, Wisconsin, or Oregon.  Hope everyone else can bear with their wait better then I have been able to.  Thanks for letting me vent.

3.4/160 for any that care since I'm sure someone will ask.

abc12345

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: What is the Deal!!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2004, 10:02:44 AM »
my friend is having the same problem, he sent all of his in and has yet to hear from all 14!

also i have other friends who have only heard from half, i think it's unfair because it binds u into putting down money on the only school you heard from

OR if you didn't hear from any, it binds you into looking for an alternative to law school

blahhh

PhoenixPSU

• Sr. Citizen
  • Villanova Law, Class of 2007
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2004, 12:52:42 PM »
Law schools are taking so long because they are far more bogged down in applications than they ever have been.  Some schools are having double the applications they normally get.  I've heard from 6 of 11 schools that I applied to, and for all of them I was either a no-brainer rejection or a slam dunk acceptance.  The more borderline you are, the longer it'll take.

ebrumm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2004, 12:59:04 PM »
yup I feel your pain - I mean hearing sometime before August would be nice right!

And the worse, everytime you talk to someone they're all HAVE YOU HEARD!!??!! And you have to be like, no not for another 6-10 weeks. I swear if my mother asks one more time....

fragglerock

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2004, 01:06:02 PM »
I know exactly where you stand right now.  My husband & I are in the same position.  He just graduated as well, and is currently seeking employment.  I have been accepted to several schools, but have not heard back from the one that I truly want to attend.  We are currently in Houston & will have to move to another city if I do not get in.  We would like to buy a house, but due to the fact that we have not heard back from the school, it has been put on hold.  He is currently conducting a search for employment. It sure would be nice to get a reply from the school so that we will know if he is looking for a job in the right city.  Anyways....I know how you feel.  The situation is extremely stressful.  I wish you the best of luck in all of your endeavors.

scolomon

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2004, 09:34:28 PM »
my apps were all out october 1 and i still havent heard from northeastern yet

ruskiegirl

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2004, 09:42:45 PM »
I was under the impression that you hear from the schools that will definitely accept you or definitely reject you fairly quickly.  I have yet to hear from three of my safeties.  (And by safeties I mean schoools where my LSAT and GPA are well above the 75th percentile.)

zpops

• Sr. Citizen
  • Going to NYU in the fall! 3.99/175
    • AOL Instant Messenger - zp0ps
    • View Profile
    • The Digital Rant
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2004, 10:51:58 PM »
I was talking to the head of admissions at Columbia at a cocktail party, and she told me that they are absolutly swamped with apps this year, and it's the hardest admissions year in history.  Admissions not only involves evaluating a candidate, but also evaluating the chance that they'll be accepted and attend other schools, so they have to juggle admits, holds, and wait lists in order to ensure they don't admit too few or too many of the students they really want.  I know this doesn't make it any easier to wait, but you should also be more hopeful if you're on a waitlist now then in a typical year, because many schools will be drawing extensively from them.  Part of the problem is that more schools sent out CRS fee waives this year than in the past, in an effort to improve their US-news standings. . .
www.thedigitalrant.com - A site for discussions on books, movies, video games and other forms of entertainment.  We're just starting out, so stop on by, if you have the chance.