Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Pepperdine or McGeorge w/$?  (Read 1019 times)

argamd

• View Profile
    • Email
Pepperdine or McGeorge w/$?
« on: April 07, 2004, 12:26:51 AM »
I've been accepted to a number of schools but, have narrowed it down to Pepperdine and McGeorge.  I am still waiting for UCLA and Loyola, but I am not too optimistic about those two.  I have a 3.7 from UC Berkeley and a 157.  I am really confused about which school to attend.  I have recieved $10,000 from McGeorge renewable if i'm in the 1/3 of the class.  No money from Pepperdine.  I eventually want to specialize in International Law, and Public Policy/Governmental Relations.  I know McGeorge offers a certificate in Governmental Relations, but Pepperdine has a master's in Public Policy program.  I'm also very hesitant about living in Sacramento, I didn't like it much when I went to visit.

I'm wondering what how my career options would be limited if I went to either school?

Any advice would be helpful in making my decision. 

thechoson

Re: Pepperdine or McGeorge w/$?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2004, 01:17:28 AM »
Don't put too much stock on that scholarship, because you can lose it (it's not a given you'll be top 1/3).  However, even with JUST that 10,000 in your first year, Pacific will be cheaper, cause Sacramento is cheaper to live in than Malibu.  So there's the money issue.  Pepperdine JUST jumped into 2nd tier, I don't think there's that much difference between them and McGeorge.  Plus if you have an interest in pub/policy and gov't, Pacific's location in Sacramento may be suitable for your desires.  I'd say suck it up, even if Sac-Town sucks, and go to McGeorge.  It's cheaper, and may be a better situation for you.

As far as career options, I would think they'd be similar at both schools.  Top 10 percent for BIGLAW, other wise you'd be struggling.  But Pacific does have good employment figures (though I have no idea what chunk of those are able to find jobs as lawyers).  So yea, I'd go to McGeorge.

However, with your GPA of 3.7 from CAL, and a 157, I think you'd have a good shot at Loyola, which is quite better than the other two you are considering.  I'd put down a deposit on McGeorge, wait for Loyola, forget about Pepperdine.  Also, I would not say bye bye to UCLA just quite yet.  UCs are GPA whores, and that 3.7 from CAL is VERY Impressive.  And you might have other things that are impressive about you.  So still have hope!

andywp8

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.2, 165 LSAT, going to Loyola w/full ride
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2004, 01:22:34 AM »
did you apply to southwestern???, I would go there over pacificm or pep

thechoson

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2004, 01:25:37 AM »
totally second with andy.  Southwestern or USD are totally within your grasp with your numbers, in terms of Cali schools

argamd

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2004, 02:41:41 AM »
I got into Southwestern with no money.  I don't want to go there because of their reputation, I just figured Pepperdine would be a better option than Southwestern.  Their bar passage rates aren't too high either.

thechoson

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2004, 03:11:02 AM »
try USD?

Aonghus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2004, 02:45:33 PM »
I say papperdine, they definitely get more respect than southwestern in LA

andywp8

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.2, 165 LSAT, going to Loyola w/full ride
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2004, 02:48:58 PM »
pepperdine has the worst employment stats of any school in the top 100   70/85.
Pepperdine is ultra conservative (BYU with a view)
They put too much of a religious emphasis in their teaching, and have these crazy rules such as no alcohol in your graduate student apartment.
go to southwestern

thechoson

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2004, 02:54:42 PM »
go to MCGEORGE

SpeakerDave

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.35 / 161
    • View Profile
    • SpeakerDave
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2004, 04:29:21 PM »
I'll vote for McGeorge.  It sounds like a better fit for you. 

Good Luck!