Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Flunking Out of Law School  (Read 2882 times)

thechoson

Flunking Out of Law School
« on: April 06, 2004, 10:09:37 PM »
I read a law school's website, and it said 5-10 percent of students HAVE to get Ds and Fs.  Is this common at all law schools?
Realistically though, is it hard to flunk out of law school?  I mean in college, you really have to do NOTHING to flunk out (unless you are like an engineer or some tough major like that)
What I fear is with a forced curve like that, I could try my ass off and still not have enough to pass, and end up flunking out.  I mean I have a 3.2 from UCLA, which is full of pretty smart students, so I think I'll do okay, but then I don't know...
Anybody want to share some light on this?

kaftex

Re: Flunking Out of Law School
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2004, 12:15:14 AM »
I hate to say it, but this is (or at least should be) par for the course at any school.

Otherwise they're just selling you a degree. If you were a client, would you feel comfortable having your claims handled by someone whose credentials stemmed solely from an LSAT score?

I have zero experience as a law student, but quite a bit as an amateur statistician. And, I've got to say, the normal probabilty distribution is spot-on every time given a population size comparable to a typical 1l law school class. I don't care whether your school is Yale or Cooley, a not insignificant portion of your peers will be unable to match the performance the school expects of them.

Instead of being fearful, maybe you should be thankful. Just as your school maintains admission requirements, the attrition will aid in preserving the value of your degree.

lawschoolafterdark

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School After Dark
Re: Flunking Out of Law School
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2004, 09:24:14 AM »
Go to the LSAC website www.lsac.org you can get tyhe attrition rate for each school.  The best schools have very low drop/flunk out rates.  Less than 5%.  On the other end some schools have 35% first year attrition.

Edit.....
Unfortunately, that section of lsac is down until mid-April until they get the 2005 guide in place.