Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LOR length  (Read 421 times)

ndiver

• 3.34 (4.0), 151
    • View Profile
LOR length
« on: November 05, 2004, 10:03:43 PM »
One of my professor's sent me his "rough" draft for review. It was a VERY nice gesture on his part, but now I am critiquing it with a nervous edge...

It is an extremely well written letter with excellent structure and specific examples, but he has chosen to ignore the principle of brevity that admission officers seem to appreciate. All of it is substantive and I would be short-changed if I HAVE to "cut" any thing.

It is 4.5 pgs long, single spaced, and I was wondering if anyone has advice on what admission officers prefer.

Here is an excerpt from Montauk's, "How to Get Top Law Schools":
     "Typically, single-spaced leters of recommendation are at least one
      page in length, more often two or three--sometimes even longer."

Can it be inferred that "... sometimes even longer," is an indicator that greater than three is acceptable?
Accepted: Stetson
Rejected:UC Boulder, UGA, UTK, Georgia State, Hofstra, Santa Clara, Temple
Pending: Mercer

yesidid

• View Profile
Re: LOR length
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2004, 08:14:33 PM »
Look at this way. If a teacher needs 4.5 pages to discuss all your strenghts consider it a plus, he or she must think highly of you. Likewise, the admissions board will pick up on that.

ScurvyWench

Re: LOR length
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2004, 01:18:48 AM »
Two of my LORs are 3 pages. They're well-written and not at all repetitive so I feel confident. If you think the LOR is repetitive and doesn't say much about you, then you might want to suggest cutting it down. If it's solid I don't think the AdComm will be upset.