Law School Discussion

Dumb Mistakes..

Dumb Mistakes..
« on: April 06, 2004, 02:50:21 PM »
I have been taking the practice LSAT's and having my wife score them.  I have been going back a week or so later and re-working the ones I missed.  With only a very few exceptions I get it right the second time around and generally speaking I got it wrong because of a dumb mistake in reading the question or the text. Without fail I am asking myself how in the world I thought it was THAT answer when the correct on eis so apparent.  I honestly dont remember which answer I put down so I although I am re-reading the same problem the answers don't look real familiar.  Did anyone experience the dumb mistake syndrom when they began practicing?  Did it get better the more you practiced (please say yes)?  I only have a 2 months to go and I need the improvement!!!!!

nathanielmark

Re: Dumb Mistakes..
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2004, 04:34:07 PM »
I definitely make some careless errors myself.  On the days I am most motivated (with a high enough level of blood caffeine), i may make less.  i have learned to live with it.  as many as half of my total missed questions for LR could be because of carelessness.

what was much more of a problem for me was incorrectly diagramming rules in games. then you wind up wasting several minutes pursuing the game down the wrong road. then you are talking about missing several questions because of one careless error. not a good thing at all.

fortunately, i have forced myself to be SUPERcareful, and this problem seems to have been overcome.

i think when you take the timing element into account for the LR section, even the sharpest guy is going to make a careless error along the way.

just concentrate, and practice practice.  you will improve.  as much as i beat up on myself for all the mistakes i have made and sections i have screwed up.  that is really the only way to learn.  i have made huge strides by consistently practicing and not giving in to frustration.  hang in there.

jgruber

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2004, 09:30:40 AM »
My dumb mistakes came from not reading the question carefully enough, especially the games.

But please don't tell anyone.   :)

zpops

• Going to NYU in the fall! 3.99/175
    • AOL Instant Messenger - zp0ps
    • View Profile
    • The Digital Rant
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2004, 11:02:03 AM »
On the real test, 2 of my mistakes were dumb ones.  I'd say 1-3 was average for me.