Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Patent Bar  (Read 1309 times)

kaftex

Patent Bar
« on: April 06, 2004, 04:15:28 PM »
Is anyone else out there boning up for the patent bar now?

I hope to get it out of the way before classes start in August.
I don't know if having a USPTO registration # is the summer job
ace-in-the-hole that some make it out to be, but I figure it
can't hurt.

If anyone is taking the April test, I'd really like to hear
commentary on the new computerized format once you've slogged
through it.   

I must say, for the benefit of any who have not started studying,
that this MPEP garbage makes combinatorics look fun.  :-X

'Off to the library.

kt

NerdyLaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Loser
    • View Profile
Re: Patent Bar
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2004, 05:35:28 PM »
I started going through the MPEP and was thinking of taking the patent bar before law school too. Then I talked to a couple of PAs who told me not to bother. They're assessment was that it would help me minimally with summer jobs but you don't need to pass the patent bar to work in an office over the summer AND most law schools' IP courses will go over the MPEP and patent bar. If you wait until after these classes, you will most likely be well versed (by a professor) and more likely to pass. To be honest, I would recommend that you enjoy your last few months of "freedom" before the hard work begins. Studying the MPEP is a hellish task at best.
EE at Rutgers - 3.5/164
There are 10 types of people in this world... Those who understand binary and those who don't.

ajlynnette

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2004, 06:22:33 PM »
NJ, would you say then that one should wait until graduation to take it or could one take it before finishing school? my BS will be in bio and i have a lot of chem, physics and micro background albeit more micro and chem over physics (thank GOD, lol). i've been contemplating doing patent law, but i feel i would possibly need a few more advanced chemistry (like inorganic, physical chem) and physics classes (in magnetism, flow, or optics). any thoughts or opinions on that? thanks for sharing!

aj

kaftex

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2004, 08:06:21 PM »
Nj,

Our sources differ on a couple of points. Namely, the only school that I am aware of that teaches the patent bar is FPLC. All other programs focus exclusively on the 'why' rather than the 'how'. This approach makes sense to me now, after having read through about half of the MPEP, because the tome is nothing more than an enormous bundle of bureaucracy encompassing very little of what is typically understood to be "law". More like.. forms, filing dates, and fees...

It most reminds me of wading through the tax code, if any of you have ever tried to do your taxes unaided.

As far as the timing of when to take the test, all the big prep companies (PRG, PLI) strongly suggest getting it out of the way before graduating law school. Most advise students to be prepared by the second semester of one's first year. I'm disinclined to heed their advice because law school promises to be challenging enough without having to cram in a bar exam somewhere. An after graduation testing scenario sounds even worse.. back-to-back bars?

I have to admit that this is my second time going over the material; I intended to take the October exam but shifted my efforts to the LSAT when I was about 75% through my study regimen. This time around, the jargon, hodge-podge nature of the MPEP, and bizarre obfuscation is less troublesome. I'd guesstimate that I'm on an even footing with someone who has been immersed in non-patent legalese for at least several months. 

Good luck everyone :)

kt

NerdyLaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Loser
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2004, 10:30:00 PM »
My mother has worked with IP lawyers for 25 years and they gave me the advice but I'm sure that just like everything else, you will hear different recommendations and valid and compelling arguments for all. None-the-less, their "infinite wisdom" has lead me to wait. You can also check out this post (http://www.intelproplaw.com/Patent/Forum/msg/2637.shtml) for more advice. I still think that taking the patent bar now would be a lot of work that could be staved off until later when a future emlployer would possibly pay for time off to study and for the test itself. The ourses in most universities should go over important information that would be relevant to the patent bar and help one understand and deal with the underlying law. Of course, it's also my personal opinion (humble?) that one should enjoy the summer before law school and besides, what if you go through 2 years, take the patent bar, and then decide that IP is not the direction you want to go in? You've just wasted your valuable time and given yourself a headache dealing with the diffusive MPEP and all it's obfuscated meanings. Good luck in your decision to go through with it if you do so...

/done typing.
EE at Rutgers - 3.5/164
There are 10 types of people in this world... Those who understand binary and those who don't.

junbug77m

• 160/3.1 BS in BME/EE double major, Master's in BME
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - junbug77m
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2004, 01:27:33 PM »
I'm studying for the patent bar as well.  I was advised that the best time to take this exam is before law school.  It helps with summer jobs, gives an opportunity for part-time patent prosecution, and it's good to get it out of the way since you will have the state bar exam to prepare later on.

BTW, when is the USPTO gonna have the registration form for the patent bar?  I constantly check their website, but no news on the computerized format.  I'm hoping to take it in May.

kaftex

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2004, 05:16:09 PM »
Hoping for a May test date seems optomistic. Nobody is sure at the moment how long it's going to take the PTO to transition away from biannual administrations.

It's awesome that you're ready to go, though.  :)

Do you mind if I ask how you've been studying? 'got any tips/tricks you'd like to share?  ;D