Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Chapman v. Whittier  (Read 8604 times)

forthguy

Re: Chapman v. Whittier
« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2004, 08:29:18 PM »
So I'm guessing you go to one of the UCs

No, no.  Though I do work for UC (not one of the academic institutions, though.)

I've been out of school for about 9 years now, and my undergrad (Carnegie Mellon) tended to feel some competition, mostly with MIT.  Outside of CS (and especially robotics) I don't believe MIT ever felt a lot of pressure from CMU, however. 

As with anything undergrad, it seems pretty clear that several of the UCs have their strengths.  Certainly, I'd want to be at Berkeley for CS or engineering, though I know UCSD's done some excellent CS work over the years, too.  Beyond that, I guess the schools all run together for me.  Clearly for others, too, if the rankings put them so close.

Greg

thechoson

« Reply #51 on: April 07, 2004, 08:30:31 PM »
Yea, and CAL-Berkeley is a MERE 5 spots ahead of UCLA.  Do I go around saying UCLA and CAL are equal?  No.  The UCs have a definite pecking order, with CAL at the top, UCLA next, and then UCSD.  Riverside at the bottom.  If you do not go to CAL, UCLA, UCSD, you wouldn't quite understand the UC rivalry.  ;)

i certainly don't agree with you. i got my bs and ms from ucla but i cerntainly don't think its any better than sd or riverside. i have met tons of smart ppl from these two schools. it really depends on what you want to study. if you want to study polisci, what go to ucla instead of cal? and if you want to study marine bio, then sd is the place. and if you are into agriculture related area, then you go to davis. all these order and ranking is stupid. you represent the school you go to, not the other way around. just because you go to harvard doesn't mean you are smart and just because you go to cal state fullerton doesn't mean you are stupid.

Smart and stupid are qualitative terms.  I am saying by all quantitative measures, there's an order amongst colleges.  If not, then there's no reason to go to Harvard when everyone could just slack off in High school and go to Cal State Humboldt.

thechoson

« Reply #52 on: April 07, 2004, 08:32:47 PM »
Anyways, screw all this.  The original post was Chapman vs. Whittier, not UCLA vs. UCSD.

shortee19

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: April 07, 2004, 10:02:58 PM »
i just went to the accepted students luncheon at whittier and they said that whittier was just a point away from making it into Tier 3 this year. anyone else hear this?

tier4bound

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 07, 2004, 11:27:35 PM »
Hey Shortee9,

I was wondering if you could give me your impressions of the school as it stands now since you most recently went and your thoughts on attending it.  I know I have been asking a lot of questions from the members, but there is a reason.

I have lived on the East Coast for 11 years and if you cant tell, Cali is where I grew up and thats the reason I will be willing to risk going to Whittier just to get there.  For those who have been supplanted on the West for their whole lives, let me tell you, the East Coast doesnt even come close to being as beautiful or exciting a place as the West.  Either way if I could hear anymore opinions on Whittier it would be much appreciated. 

Thanks again.

Revenant

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 07, 2004, 11:31:41 PM »
i just went to the accepted students luncheon at whittier and they said that whittier was just a point away from making it into Tier 3 this year. anyone else hear this?

I wouldn't put much weight on that statement.  USNews scores are extremely fickle.

Aonghus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 07, 2004, 11:37:17 PM »
Sorry Chosenjin, You got all cocky, so I had to knock you down a notch or two.  And I do believe that if you think UCLA is 'better' than UCSD, then you probably do have your head up your ass, or buried in the sand... pick a metaphor.  SD is by and far a better school for Life Sciences, and they are do a better job than UCLA on quite a few things.  Fact of the matter is, when getting evaluated for Law School, UCLA itself gives the same amount of preference points to ALL UC campuses.

humility is a strength.

Quite frankly, nobody really gives a *&^%.  I did not appreciate Aonghus' comment about my head being up my ass, which was totally uncalled for.  But this is not a forum for debating the merits of the UCs.  Let's debate the merits of the UC law schools if we must, instead.

thechoson

« Reply #57 on: April 07, 2004, 11:50:27 PM »
Sorry Chosenjin, You got all cocky, so I had to knock you down a notch or two.  And I do believe that if you think UCLA is 'better' than UCSD, then you probably do have your head up your ass, or buried in the sand... pick a metaphor.  SD is by and far a better school for Life Sciences, and they are do a better job than UCLA on quite a few things.  Fact of the matter is, when getting evaluated for Law School, UCLA itself gives the same amount of preference points to ALL UC campuses.

humility is a strength.

Quite frankly, nobody really gives a *&^%.  I did not appreciate Aonghus' comment about my head being up my ass, which was totally uncalled for.  But this is not a forum for debating the merits of the UCs.  Let's debate the merits of the UC law schools if we must, instead.

Thanks Angus.  I'll remember that when you are in the night program at USD and I'm in the day program.  But thanks for the lesson on humility!

thechoson

« Reply #58 on: April 07, 2004, 11:51:42 PM »
Oh btw, you still haven't revealed where you to undergrad, if you didn't go to either UCLA or UCSD, you obviously have your head up your ass for commenting on either school.

Aonghus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 08, 2004, 04:10:41 AM »
Chosenjin,

Before you start insulting the night program at USD remember something.  If you end up attending USD, you have just dissed it.  I APPLIED to nights, which is why I got my letter before you did, I was not rejected from days, and THEN considered for nights.  We will never know if your criticism has a basis in reality.  As far as where I went to school, its a third tier toilet, but that has nothing to do with my ability to determine that UCSD and UCLA are equal.  I have done my research, so just like I know Loyola and USD are unmeasurably close even though there is an 8 slot gap, I also know that UCLA and UCSD are unmeasurably close over a 6 slot gap, and that UCSD does A LOT of things better than UCLA does.  Anything outside of the top 15 under 10 slots is not a big deal.  Do you have your head up your ass because you had a comment about the difference between USD and Whittier?  Nope, you have done research and there is a major, measurable gap. 

You DO have your head up your ass if you think UCLA is better than UCSD tho.  The difference between the two is so small, only an obviously biased individual would make that call.  Get over yourself, you DO need a humility lesson.

Be careful how far you end up taking this though, you might have to share a building with me for 3 LONG years.  So far I have only suggested that you have an elitist bias that makes you think that you and your school are more than you are...

Your insinuation that I am somehow a lesser mind because I didnt go to UC or because I am going to USD days could be dangerous for your ego if I were to rank higher than you at the end of 1L. 

How humble would you be then, oh graduate of the 'second best UC campus' and admittee to USD days?

That humble pie would take a LONG time to eat...

humility is a strength.

Thanks Angus.  I'll remember that when you are in the night program at USD and I'm in the day program.  But thanks for the lesson on humility!