Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Chapman v. Whittier  (Read 8016 times)

Aonghus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Chapman v. Whittier
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2004, 06:51:21 PM »
Certainly you dont have your head so far up your ass as to think UCLA a better school than UCSD.  Id say they are equal.

blizzard of ozz

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.66/163
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2004, 07:04:58 PM »
That is an interesting response.  Is it because of the location, reputation, or your desire to just go to a top 100 school?

If the school has been around since '76 or whatnot, I would assume that it has to have some credibility and maybe the poor numbers are the fact that it lets in people who want to go to law school at the last minute and find out it is not for them.  Maybe the admittants like me (2.9, 152), go there and get discouraged by the numbers and decide it isnt for them.  I'm not sure but I know if I go there I cant take it for granted because it is my one shot to do something that I enjoy with my life and make something out of it (not necessarily money wise, although it would be nice to get into a beter school and have the advantage of garnering a higher salary.

Many thanks.

Some 3rd and 4th tier schools (esp. 4th tier) have low curves and very high attrition rates, most T1's do not. Here's why.

A good example of this is a school like CUNY. I think their curve is @2.0, and you need a 2.3 or higher to graduate, so tons of people flunk out (since below a C+ amounts to flunking out in this case). Whereas most 1st tier schools have pretty decent curves (ie Fordham's and NYU's, from what I hear, hovers around a B+) so virtually nobody flunks out.

thechoson

« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2004, 07:49:50 PM »
Certainly you dont have your head so far up your ass as to think UCLA a better school than UCSD.  Id say they are equal.
Hahaha
That's funny and does not deserve a response.

thechoson

« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2004, 07:50:39 PM »
Aonghus, did you go to UCSD?

forthguy

« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2004, 08:05:09 PM »
Hahaha
That's funny and does not deserve a response.

Well, since everyone here's so fussy about US News rankings, US News puts UCSD a mere 6 spots under UCLA.  That seems pretty equal to me.

Greg

thechoson

« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2004, 08:08:11 PM »
Yea, and CAL-Berkeley is a MERE 5 spots ahead of UCLA.  Do I go around saying UCLA and CAL are equal?  No.  The UCs have a definite pecking order, with CAL at the top, UCLA next, and then UCSD.  Riverside at the bottom.  If you do not go to CAL, UCLA, UCSD, you wouldn't quite understand the UC rivalry.  ;)

thechoson

« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2004, 08:09:42 PM »
Quite frankly, nobody really gives a *&^%.  I did not appreciate Aonghus' comment about my head being up my ass, which was totally uncalled for.  But this is not a forum for debating the merits of the UCs.  Let's debate the merits of the UC law schools if we must, instead.

forthguy

« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2004, 08:17:46 PM »
Yea, and CAL-Berkeley is a MERE 5 spots ahead of UCLA.  Do I go around saying UCLA and CAL are equal?  No.  The UCs have a definite pecking order, with CAL at the top, UCLA next, and then UCSD.  Riverside at the bottom.  If you do not go to CAL, UCLA, UCSD, you wouldn't quite understand the UC rivalry.  ;)

Perhaps it's more that I wouldn't care than that I wouldn't understand. :) 

Greg

thechoson

« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2004, 08:19:26 PM »
So I'm guessing you go to one of the UCs

princess b

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: April 07, 2004, 08:25:57 PM »

i certainly don't agree with you. i got my bs and ms from ucla but i cerntainly don't think its any better than sd or riverside. i have met tons of smart ppl from these two schools. it really depends on what you want to study. if you want to study polisci, what go to ucla instead of cal? and if you want to study marine bio, then sd is the place. and if you are into agriculture related area, then you go to davis. all these order and ranking is stupid. you represent the school you go to, not the other way around. just because you go to harvard doesn't mean you are smart and just because you go to cal state fullerton doesn't mean you are stupid.