Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Chapman v. Whittier  (Read 8580 times)

thechoson

Re: Chapman v. Whittier
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2004, 03:10:37 AM »
what do u guys think regarding chapman's aspiration to make it into Tier 2 soon? i believed them, until they dropped to Tier 4 this year.

I'd say, put your money where you mouth is

shortee19

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2004, 01:20:16 PM »

I'd say, put your money where you mouth is

what do u mean?

thechoson

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2004, 02:35:09 PM »
well their goal was second tier, then they dropped from 3 to 4, so go figure

Aonghus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2004, 02:43:09 PM »
If you wanna know why Chapman is better, go visit both.  Whittier is a postage stamp, Chapman is on a decent sized campus, and has decent resources.  they have actually gotten some graduates into biglaw also.

Yea that, and they  never deserved to be in the 3rd tier in the first place

lol, well if they didnt deserve to be in Tier 3, then what makes them better than whittier? just their bar passage rate?

dnw2007

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2004, 02:58:46 PM »
Let's not go so Tier crazy.  Let's visit these schools, assess their faculty quality, student satisfaction, etc before we start dissing law schools.  None of these factors are used figure most rankings, certainly not US News.  To go to law school is an honor, whether it's Boalt, Whittier or Chapman. 

princess b

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2004, 03:00:34 PM »
tier 3, tier 4...schools go up and down (just look at syracuse). i think chapman has the potential and the ambition to be in tier 2 (some schools like albany law seems like they don't really care...they have been in tier 3 forever) or else they wouldn't invest so much $ into the school and its facilities.

also whitter doesn't have an undergrad so chapman gives you more resources.

edited: totally agree with dnw2007. personally, i think whether you graduate from a tier 1 or 4 will affect your job search initially. but down the road, its your abilities and knowledge that will matter. maybe a student from tier 4 will take longer to land a big firm job, but if you are good, you will eventually get one. however, even if you have a jd from harvard and you don't know jack, you can get hired by a big firm initially because of the institution that grant you the degree, but eventually, you will be weed out.

thechoson

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2004, 03:03:16 PM »
If you want to visit the schools, assess faculty quality, blah blah, and not go tier crazy, then there's no point of posting on this site.  OP is asking for our opinions, and some of our opinions happen to be tier crazy, that's all

tier4bound

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2004, 03:16:34 PM »
Um...Whittier does have a undergraduate program I believe...

www.whittier.edu

Looks like I will be attending this law school since I could not get into Southwestern.  My goal is to obviously transfer but you never know how things will turn out.  Only reason I am dead set on Southwestern is that they have one of the best and most concentrated entertainment law programs out there.  Would any of you recommend going to a better school or trying to transfer into Southwestern if given the opportunity...Lets say you had a choice between one of the UCLA campus' or the more goal specific schools like Southwestern?

Thank you for your time.

thechoson

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2004, 03:18:08 PM »
If i had a chance between UCLA (or any UC ) for that matter, and Southwestern, I'd go to the UC in a heartbeat

jfbruin

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2004, 03:27:26 PM »
Whittier has an outstanding undergraduate college.  Richard Nixon graduated from there.