Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Chapman v. Whittier  (Read 8593 times)

shortee19

• View Profile
    • Email
Chapman v. Whittier
« on: April 06, 2004, 03:29:26 PM »
I need help in deciding between Chapman and Whittier.
Chapman offered 50% scholarship, Whittier offered 100%.
what would you do?

also, is it true that chapman's teaching method is more theoretical, while whittier's is more practical?

thechoson

Re: Chapman v. Whittier
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2004, 03:58:23 PM »
Go with Chapman, I am very concerned about Whittier's DISMAL bar passage rate

andywp8

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.2, 165 LSAT, going to Loyola w/full ride
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2004, 04:06:43 PM »
i agree, go to chapman.

whittier's bar passage rate is deplorable, something like 38%.  Whittier also cuts as much as 30% of the class after 1L and 2L years.  Meaning that 38% bar passage rate is for the the remaining 70% of students who don't fail out.

Chapman has money that they are willing to spend, and seems to be headed in the right direction.

you will still need to work really hard to get a top job, probably top 5% of your class.

good luck

shortee19

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2004, 07:55:23 PM »
y do u think chapman dropped from tier 3 to tier 4 this year? i heard its bar passage rates dropped from 70 to 50% so thats probably why.

thechoson

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2004, 08:08:31 PM »
Yea that, and they  never deserved to be in the 3rd tier in the first place

shortee19

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2004, 08:24:32 PM »
Yea that, and they  never deserved to be in the 3rd tier in the first place

lol, well if they didnt deserve to be in Tier 3, then what makes them better than whittier? just their bar passage rate?

thechoson

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2004, 08:40:18 PM »
pretty much. They both seem to have pretty decent employment numbers after 9 months, but those numbers are pretty deceiving.  They are the only two law schools in Orange County (ABA approved, since Western's gonna lose it), so that might be the only thing going for those schools. Whittier's in a pretty nice area, don't know about Chapman

jas9999

• Sr. Citizen
  • Actual Law Student
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2004, 09:25:43 PM »
chapman's in a nice, though very conservative area. my brother did his undergrad there, and a year after gulf 1 was over, they still had 'welcome home troops' banners hanging around orange. the undergrads there aren't the most impressive in the world, to say the least. they didn't have the law school yet when he was there, so i know nothing about that...

santa ana is nearby, though, and that's not too nice an area.

princess b

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2004, 10:03:25 PM »
chapman, like UNLV, is a farily new law school. however, unlike UNLV (the only law school in vegas), the competition chapman faces is high. this being said, it's pretty remarkable that chapman is accredited within a pretty short time. i was told the reason chapman is tier 4 this year is because while they over-enrolled last year, they didn't bother to hire new professors. as a result of this, most of the classes are filled and the rumor is some students even have to sit on the floor. but i guess if there are that many students enrolling in this school (instead of all other CA schools, taken they were accepted), the school shouldn't be that bad after all.

chapman is near disneyland, but i guess most law students don't have time to go there. south coast plaza is near there if you are into shopping. the block is nearby, which is a popular hang out place for UCI and CAL F students. if you are into sports, the edison field (or stadium) is near there as well.

shortee19

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2004, 01:54:53 AM »
what do u guys think regarding chapman's aspiration to make it into Tier 2 soon? i believed them, until they dropped to Tier 4 this year.