Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: NYLS vs Hofstra  (Read 2950 times)

abc12345

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: NYLS vs Hofstra
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2004, 05:43:39 PM »
a lot of my friends that are law students dont believe US news (even grads from law schools as well)

its just how well you dooooo, that's all that matters...but you should really LIKE the school you're attending...you don't wanna go to the better school and be miserable

abmarz

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2004, 10:48:22 PM »
For what it's worth, Hofstra moved up a TON in the US News rankings. Last yr it was third tier and this year it is #89. It's quickly getting better and better.

blizzard of ozz

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.66/163
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2004, 10:57:52 PM »
well, its getting close to decision time, and i'm at a bit of a crossroads.  The big choice comes down to either Hofstra with a 20K scholarship offer or NYLS with 15k.  It looks like it would be an easy decision, right?  But I've lived in NYC for 4 years and I really like it here.  The thought of moving back to Long Island (I grew up there, go to undergrad in the city) kind of scares me.  With my love of new york city in mind, am i being irresonsible with my future for chosing NYLS over Hofstra?  Will opportunities out of law school, specifically the chance for employment as an A.D.A., be signifcantly limited by chosing NYLS?  I would tend to think that, if i am successful at either school, I would probably have similar opportunities. 

please help me out
Frank

On a serious note, if you're leaning towards DA/gov't you probably won't be hurting for jobs out of either. At the DA's office I interned at (Staten Island) I'd say 50-75% of the office went to NYLS. Personally in NYC, I get the impression that NYLS places better simply because they're in NYC, even though I think as a school (and definitely in terms of their administration which is crap), they're probably worse.

little_old_lady

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2004, 11:02:41 PM »
I believe that Hofstra was 2nd tier only a few years ago and then dipped down to 3rd so their 'rises' back into the 2nd tier isn't that impressive. 

blizzard of ozz

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.66/163
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2004, 12:02:43 AM »
I believe that Hofstra was 2nd tier only a few years ago and then dipped down to 3rd so their 'rises' back into the 2nd tier isn't that impressive. 

yep, from what I've heard they got a new dean a few years back who sucked, a LOT and pretty much destroyed the school's credibility and recruiting.

scolomon

« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2004, 02:32:09 AM »
uhhhh most nyls graduates dont want to move or work in staten island

abc12345

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2004, 09:20:37 AM »
actually a good # of nyls come from staten island (including myself)...and those that commute usually end up working and staying on staten

but i agree, who wants to MOVE there lol...NO ONE! hahaha

scolomon

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2004, 02:04:02 PM »

yep, from what I've heard they got a new dean a few years back who sucked, a LOT and pretty much destroyed the school's credibility and recruiting.

I think it is impressive rebounding by a 11 school jump (at least) into the second tier, whether it used to be 2nd tier or not

blizzard of ozz

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.66/163
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2004, 02:11:30 PM »
uhhhh most nyls graduates dont want to move or work in staten island

Don't hate on Shaolin. You're in Rochester. I laugh at your attempt at a "city". Lots of people commute to Manhattan from SI for work or school, btw. Personally I'm none too fond of living in SI but I'd kill myself living in LI, it's worse. If you inexplicably want to work in LI, though, Hofstra's better. If you want to work in NYC NYLS's better. Forget USNWR, Hofstra's a school that's more local than NYLS (which has tons of alumni in the 5 boroughs even if it's still not a great school). USNWR ranks Colorado, which is barely accredited, at #50. After the first 20 or so schools, their rankings are pretty much garbage since recruiting is almost purely regional after the "national schools".

It's certainly not bad, but there aren't any young people in SI. But, there are some legal jobs worth a commute. If you're interested in crim. law the DA's office may be one of them.

I would rather work in Brooklyn or Manhattan, but quite a number of people obviously do want to work in SI, though. Real friendly office, but a little dull versus other DA's offices.

Revenant

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2004, 03:14:22 PM »
Eh... last year the last raw score to count for the 2nd tier was 43, so Hofstra could have been (and very likely was, considering the stats of other 3rd tier schools) a 42.  This year Hofstra is a 44.  It's not really that much of a difference... if it was a 4-5 point jump, sure, but schools go up and down 2-3 points every year.

I think it is impressive rebounding by a 11 school jump (at least) into the second tier, whether it used to be 2nd tier or not