Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: NYLS vs Hofstra  (Read 3029 times)

scolomon

Re: NYLS vs Hofstra
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2004, 03:39:35 PM »
I never claimed to love Rochester, and I am getting the hell out of here and back to the NYC area.  So I will hate on Shaolin. I never claimed to be proud of living in rochester, I just wanted to go to school here because UR is a prestegious school and I got a great education.  Whereas Staten Island is not prestegious
at all

uhhhh most nyls graduates dont want to move or work in staten island

Don't hate on Shaolin. You're in Rochester. I laugh at your attempt at a "city". Lots of people commute to Manhattan from SI for work or school, btw. Personally I'm none too fond of living in SI but I'd kill myself living in LI, it's worse. If you inexplicably want to work in LI, though, Hofstra's better. If you want to work in NYC NYLS's better. Forget USNWR, Hofstra's a school that's more local than NYLS (which has tons of alumni in the 5 boroughs even if it's still not a great school). USNWR ranks Colorado, which is barely accredited, at #50. After the first 20 or so schools, their rankings are pretty much garbage since recruiting is almost purely regional after the "national schools".

It's certainly not bad, but there aren't any young people in SI. But, there are some legal jobs worth a commute. If you're interested in crim. law the DA's office may be one of them.

I would rather work in Brooklyn or Manhattan, but quite a number of people obviously do want to work in SI, though. Real friendly office, but a little dull versus other DA's offices.

blizzard of ozz

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.66/163
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2004, 03:49:08 PM »
I never claimed to love Rochester, and I am getting the hell out of here and back to the NYC area.  So I will hate on Shaolin. I never claimed to be proud of living in rochester, I just wanted to go to school here because UR is a prestegious school and I got a great education.  Whereas Staten Island is not prestegious
at all

uhhhh most nyls graduates dont want to move or work in staten island

Don't hate on Shaolin. You're in Rochester. I laugh at your attempt at a "city". Lots of people commute to Manhattan from SI for work or school, btw. Personally I'm none too fond of living in SI but I'd kill myself living in LI, it's worse. If you inexplicably want to work in LI, though, Hofstra's better. If you want to work in NYC NYLS's better. Forget USNWR, Hofstra's a school that's more local than NYLS (which has tons of alumni in the 5 boroughs even if it's still not a great school). USNWR ranks Colorado, which is barely accredited, at #50. After the first 20 or so schools, their rankings are pretty much garbage since recruiting is almost purely regional after the "national schools".

It's certainly not bad, but there aren't any young people in SI. But, there are some legal jobs worth a commute. If you're interested in crim. law the DA's office may be one of them.

I would rather work in Brooklyn or Manhattan, but quite a number of people obviously do want to work in SI, though. Real friendly office, but a little dull versus other DA's offices.

Your logic floors me. You compared UR, a college, with Staten Island, a city. Apples and Oranges. Btw, UR is a TTT with a good music program. HTH.

Louder Than Bombs

« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2004, 05:21:17 PM »

Your logic floors me. You compared UR, a college, with Staten Island, a city. Apples and Oranges. Btw, UR is a third tier toilet with a good music program. HTH.

Ozz, your xoxohth experience is shining through here...not that I disagree with you, I just think it's funny.

blizzard of ozz

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.66/163
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2004, 05:42:52 PM »
LOL, yeah, I spent way too much time on the Old PR boards and xoxohth. You're right though, they tend to be a LOT nastier than this board and occasionally it rubs off on me. I love arguing, too, which only adds fuel to the fire.

Oh btw, Bombs I finally responded to your e-mail last night. I'm a few days behind on everything.

scolomon

« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2004, 05:52:51 PM »
Third tier toilet? Last time I checked being ranked in top 35 universitites was pretty solid. It is tied with NYU is that a toilet too?  Yeah it has a good program but that is considered EASTMAN SCHOOL OF MUSIC, which is part of UR but considered a different school altogether
Get your facts together poindexter

blizzard of ozz

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.66/163
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2004, 06:40:01 PM »
Third tier toilet? Last time I checked being ranked in top 35 universitites was pretty solid. It is tied with NYU is that a toilet too?  Yeah it has a good program but that is considered EASTMAN SCHOOL OF MUSIC, which is part of UR but considered a different school altogether

USNWR is crap. UR is barely known in NY (except Rochester) much less the rest of the counntry. Unless you want to be a composer, the SUNY's are better schools (especially Binghamton). If you want cold weather and a horrible town, Rochester is perfect. If you have a sexual fetish for the aesthetically challenged and socially inept, I'd also recommend UR. If you want Div III athletics and a school with no pride or spirit and no social life, again UR comes up on top.

But if you want a rewarding experience and quality education, it pretty much sucks.

scolomon

« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2004, 07:00:27 PM »
Actually UR has one of the most famous political science departments in the country, so much so they call a lot of the game theory "The Rochester school of political science due to Rochester professors contributions.  In addition the engineering and business programs undergrad and grad are incredible.  No reputation outside of NY? Please.  Maybe not on the west coast, but EVERYONE on the east coast knows about rochester.  I am from Connecticut, I have friends from Boston, and maryland and wherever else that all HEARD of its prestige and checked it out and loved it and came here.
So spare me with your uneducated drivel and get your facts straight

USNWR is crap. UR is barely known in NY (except Rochester) much less the rest of the counntry. Unless you want to be a composer, the SUNY's are better schools (especially Binghamton). If you want cold weather and a horrible town, Rochester is perfect. If you have a sexual fetish for the aesthetically challenged and socially inept, I'd also recommend UR. If you want Div III athletics and a school with no pride or spirit and no social life, again UR comes up on top.

But if you want a rewarding experience and quality education, it pretty much sucks.

blizzard of ozz

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.66/163
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2004, 07:07:33 PM »
Your friends from Boston, CT, MD etc WHO WENT TO THE SCHOOL heard about it. Gee, what a shock.

Btw wanna move this to the hate thread? I don't feel like hijacking this one any more.

scolomon

« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2004, 07:27:38 PM »
Your friends from Boston, CT, MD etc WHO WENT TO THE SCHOOL heard about it. Gee, what a shock.

Btw wanna move this to the hate thread? I don't feel like hijacking this one any more.

I dont care, I think you have sufficiently proved your IQ is somewhere between 12 and 28.
I don't need to argue with you about this anymore

abc12345

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2004, 09:03:11 AM »
hey boyssssss stop dissing on staten, i grew up there and there are a lot of successful practices (law and medicine for example) on the island, it really isn't as much of a waste as a lot of people make it out to be

:(