Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: NYLS vs Hofstra  (Read 3044 times)

mrsocko523

• View Profile
    • Email
NYLS vs Hofstra
« on: April 06, 2004, 02:14:32 PM »
well, its getting close to decision time, and i'm at a bit of a crossroads.  The big choice comes down to either Hofstra with a 20K scholarship offer or NYLS with 15k.  It looks like it would be an easy decision, right?  But I've lived in NYC for 4 years and I really like it here.  The thought of moving back to Long Island (I grew up there, go to undergrad in the city) kind of scares me.  With my love of new york city in mind, am i being irresonsible with my future for chosing NYLS over Hofstra?  Will opportunities out of law school, specifically the chance for employment as an A.D.A., be signifcantly limited by chosing NYLS?  I would tend to think that, if i am successful at either school, I would probably have similar opportunities. 

please help me out
Frank

Louder Than Bombs

Re: NYLS vs Hofstra
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2004, 02:24:49 PM »
Go to NY Law. First off, it's a better school than Hofstra, and secondly, it's not on Long Island (although I don't even know where NY Law is). I have a similar dilemma, having basically comitted to St. John's, but being completely turned off by the idea of moving to Queens.

Chris

jas9999

• Sr. Citizen
  • Actual Law Student
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2004, 02:45:20 PM »
Hey, don't dis Queens! It's the most ethnically diverse county in America, and I love living here. I spent three years on the upper west side, and would take Astoria any day.

NerdyLaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Loser
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2004, 03:29:06 PM »
I definately have to disagree with "Bombs". Hofstra has a much better name than NYLS (T2 v T3 respectively) and is moving up. They moved into the top 100 this year and their program is getting stronger. You can commute easily enough by train to Hofstra but if this is a problem, this would be the ONLY reason I could think of to choose NYLS over Hofstra. Given that you get 20K, that would make Hofstra pretty cheap. I would go in a heartbeat.
EE at Rutgers - 3.5/164
There are 10 types of people in this world... Those who understand binary and those who don't.

little_old_lady

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2004, 03:35:55 PM »
I'd choose Hofstra.  It's got a better rep than NYLS.  And you'll have an advantage out on the island over an NYLS grad whereas an NYLS has no advantage in the city because they're at the bottom of the food chain. 

abc12345

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2004, 03:49:01 PM »
depends where you want to live, also check out the schools before u decide...even though hofstra may be higher ranked, you might not like the atmosphere

Louder Than Bombs

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2004, 04:00:31 PM »
Hey, don't dis Queens! It's the most ethnically diverse county in America, and I love living here. I spent three years on the upper west side, and would take Astoria any day.

I know you live there jas, and I am not 'dissing' Queens (both my parents are from there), but I just don't feel it's for me. I prefer a more urban environment, and would much rather live in Brooklyn or Manhattan. If I had my druthers, I would live in a brownstone over in Carroll Gardens or Cobble Hill. I really feel stupid now, as I withdrew my application over at Brooklyn Law (thinking I would easily get in to Fordham and, with some luck, Georgetown). Judging by what I have seen, I am sure BK would have offered me their highest scholarship award, making tuition only about $10K more per year than St. John's. In retrospect, I would pay $30K more (over three years) to go to Brooklyn as I feel living in BK would make me happier (than living in Queens).

Chris

Louder Than Bombs

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2004, 04:06:11 PM »
I definately have to disagree with "Bombs". Hofstra has a much better name than NYLS (T2 v T3 respectively) and is moving up.

I don't know if one can really say that Hofstra has a "much better name" than NY Law...both schools are pretty far down the "food chain" (to use litle_old_lady's terminology) in terms of NY metro area schools. Perhaps Fordham or Cardozo, or even BK/St. John's has a 'much' better reputation than NY Law, but after BK and SJU I think they're all the same (except for Touro and CUNY)...

I still say go to NY Law...if you want to be in the city, and that's what will make you happy, stay in the city. Hofstra is ALL Long Island mooks/JAPs. I get that feeling from St. John's students as well, which is why I am so hesitant to attend...

Chris

scolomon

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2004, 04:18:41 PM »
I had the same choice and chose hofstra
Hofstra has better connections with Big money firms in NYC
I know some of you are gonna dispute this but i did research for hours and hours
called career centers
called firms
Hofstra is better
Pick hofstra
or better yet pick NYLS. I dont need any more competition

scolomon

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2004, 04:20:51 PM »
one more thing
NYLS doesnt have a better rep
I called a lot of big shot lawyers, At Bear STerns as well as the top rated law firms in the country in NYC
every one liked hofstra better
every one INCLUDING PEOPLE WHO WENT TO NYL
Oh and USNEWS doesnt feel it has a better rep either