Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Do you support polygamous marriage?

Yes -- it three or four people love each other then what right do I have to prohibit them from marrying?
no.  I believe marriage should only be between two people, but it can be any two people.
no, and moreover I think marriage should only be between a man and a woman.

Author Topic: Do you support polygamous marriage? -- poll  (Read 3470 times)

superiorlobe

Do you support polygamous marriage? -- poll
« on: November 04, 2004, 01:02:11 PM »
Should three people who love each other deeply be allowed to marry and form a family?

What about four?

Please tell us why you think what you do.

The ZAPINATOR

• LSD Obsessed
    • MSN Messenger - N/A
    • AOL Instant Messenger - N/A
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - N/A
    • View Profile
    • N/A
Re: Do you support polygamy?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2004, 01:05:18 PM »
Should three people who love each other deeply be allowed to marry and form a family?

What about four?

In America, with our cultural underpinnings, certainly not.  In other cultures, where their society is different, I can't say I'm unsupportive.

ZAP

superiorlobe

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2004, 01:06:23 PM »

What about four?

In America, with our cultural underpinnings, certainly not.  In other cultures, where their society is different, I can't say I'm unsupportive.

ZAP

Surely you are aware of the cultural underpinnings of Mormonism.  Also, there are several polygamous communities in this country right now.

Laura

• View Profile
Re: Do you support polygamous marriage? -- poll
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2004, 01:06:52 PM »
I believe in incest, provided you don't have kids.

Also, I believe in the consumption of pork, provided it is cooked under proper conditions.

Verbosity

• Sr. Citizen
    • ICQ Messenger - 117686925
    • MSN Messenger - Pikeman85@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Pikeman852003
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2004, 01:08:00 PM »
I don't mind polygamy. It does suprise me a bit.

The funny thing was in my African history class. My professor is actually from Africa. He said something along the lines of how his Grandfather had had 30 wives. My eyes BULGED. He looked at me and said "Why do you think that is odd? It happens there."
Mr. Verbosity!

Cletus

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2004, 01:10:03 PM »
I don't support it, but I'm not against it. If it is a loving family, then I see that as a good thing. Free adults should be free to form whatever relationships they want, so long as there is no element of coercion or force, and so long as in doing so they do not do harm to anyone else.

vagrant

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2004, 01:11:37 PM »
My main problem with polygamy.

If all the wives live in the same house, that old trait of PMS migrating to the same time of the month would occur.  One woman with PMS is bad enough.  Who the heck would want MULTIPLE women with PMS at the same time?!

The ZAPINATOR

• LSD Obsessed
    • MSN Messenger - N/A
    • AOL Instant Messenger - N/A
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - N/A
    • View Profile
    • N/A
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2004, 01:14:13 PM »
Good point, but I believe Mormonism was invented by Joseph Smith for any number of reasons, and I can back my thoughts on this up (I studied it extensively as a kid).  Besides, Mormonism only goes back a couple generations, and they eventually swore it off.  But in long-standing cultures, where the roots of polygamy go much deeper and it is much more of a traditional status-quo, I'd hate to tell them what to do.

ZAP

What about four?

ZAP

Surely you are aware of the cultural underpinnings of Mormonism.  Also, there are several polygamous communities in this country right now.

amarain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Atlanta Private Investigator
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2004, 01:15:06 PM »
Not really. Maybe I'm just traditional, but I feel like there's a special relationship that exists between two people. How can you have that in a group? I understand that in some places, polygamy exists for practical reasons - to have enough people to take care of the house, bear children, etc. But it's not necessary here, and come on, it's hard enough to take care of one husband, let alone multiples. And you really think you can avoid jealousy and such between your multiple wives? Think again.

Cletus

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2004, 01:16:44 PM »
So you're saying it's not for you. That's cool, but because it's not for you are you going to say it's not for others?

Not really. Maybe I'm just traditional, but I feel like there's a special relationship that exists between two people. How can you have that in a group? I understand that in some places, polygamy exists for practical reasons - to have enough people to take care of the house, bear children, etc. But it's not necessary here, and come on, it's hard enough to take care of one husband, let alone multiples. And you really think you can avoid jealousy and such between your multiple wives? Think again.