Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Do you really want to go to law school?  (Read 12281 times)

dr_draino

Re: Do you really want to go to law school?
« Reply #180 on: November 07, 2004, 07:44:05 PM »
bump.

Future-man, don't I recall you saying you've decided not to go to law school cause you decided the only reason you really wanted to go was for the money and you decided there are better options?  Is that why you keep bumping this thread?  Many of us have specific reasons for wanting to go to law school, have attended classes, spoken with law students and practicing attorneys, know what's involved and have decided its a great career move for us.

ElizaB

• Sr. Citizen
  • What a sweet face?
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: November 07, 2004, 07:48:42 PM »
I plan on buying my suits for 15 dollars at the thrift store if at all possible. I won't be buying them at any sort of expensive place if I can help it. As long as I look decent, would the partners even give a damn?
Did you buy that sweater at a thrift store, too?

his mommy bought it at kohls

I see...I guess I can forgive the sweater if his Mom bought if for him.  Seriously, though, verbosity...don't buy your suits at a thrift store.  The only suits I have ever seen at thrift store's are 70ish pimpesque suits.  Go to Dillard's or the Men's Warehouse or somewhere...anywhere...just not at the thrift store! 
Attending: Texas

dr_draino

« Reply #182 on: November 07, 2004, 08:07:45 PM »
Verb:  An acceptable suit/shirt/tie combo can be purchased at Men's Wearhouse for under 300 bucks.  That will be 300 dollars well spent.

futurejd20

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #183 on: November 07, 2004, 09:20:59 PM »
I think I said I was considering other options besides law school, not that I totally lost interest in pursuing law.

I bumped the thread because of this:

1LWhit and mfitz:

What types of degrees do you have? Why do you think you don't have any other options besides law? There are millions of options that you can pursue. Why don't you try to pursue something you do in your spare time as a profession? I'm sure you have a lot of interests, why not act on them?

DOWNY

« Reply #184 on: November 07, 2004, 11:14:25 PM »
Now that some of you have already had some acceptances roll in, I feel I have an obligation to advise everyone on the board to really consider whether of not they actually want to go to law school, and why. Law school is by no means a pleasant experience; chances are great that you will hate it. Furthermore, it is no secret that lawyers have the highest rate of job dissatisfaction among professionals, and that drug use/abuse in the profession is rampant (because being a lawyer blows). If you are a young person fresh out of college who is going into law because you need to find a career, I HIGHLY ADVISE YOU TO THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU ARE COMMITTING TO. This is especially true if the admissions cycle does not go how you would have hoped.

Hm... another random tidbit: highest suicide rate by profession = dentists

That's because dentists are losers-fuckers.

Hey Lobe, have you considered being a dentist?

DOWNY

futurejd20

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #185 on: November 08, 2004, 01:30:57 AM »
Dentists..lol. Doesn't sound too bad...

It sure as hell is less stressful that a typical law career. Plus, I think they make like 120 k on average, work relatively small hours compared to lawyers, and get the pride of calling themselves doctors.

Verbosity

• Sr. Citizen
    • ICQ Messenger - 117686925
    • MSN Messenger - Pikeman85@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Pikeman852003
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #186 on: November 08, 2004, 03:47:06 AM »
Honestly, about the sweater, I haven't seen it in a long time :P As for buying it at a thrift-store, I wish I had.

And when I went to the thrift store just recently, the only suits I saw were rather new (at least they looked new) suits that seemed to be from reputable dealers. I honestly wouldn't be saying I'd buy one if they looked like *&^%. But I'm not exactly knowledgable when it comes to suits, but oh well. :P

However I still hold that if I can get the same quality suit at a thrift store, I am going to.

Lets say I buy a suit for each day of the week (Considering I'll probably be in the office Monday-Saturday and maybe occasionally on Sunday, 7 suits sounds like a good idea.)

If I buy them at men's wearhouse, that costs 7 x 300 = 2100

If I buy them at the thrift store, that costs 7 x 15 = 105

Surely you can understand my apprehension at spending almost 2000 dollars more?! That 2000 could either be used to partially pay off my debt, help me buy a house, or be invested in an index fund for interest and possibly earn me a decent rate of return!
Mr. Verbosity!

Koga

• Sr. Citizen
  • K 231, Bitches.
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: November 08, 2004, 04:11:37 AM »

That's because dentists are losers-fuckers.

That may be, but there are many reasons why non-wankers might want to go into dentistry.  I know I wouldn't mind having easy access to medical grade nitrous.
Recipient of the SPD Christmas Concussion.

Laura

• View Profile
« Reply #188 on: November 08, 2004, 10:22:15 AM »
Saving Money on Dinner

$0.15 ramen noodles * 365 = $54.75
$3 frozen dinner * 365 = $1,095.00
$10 eating out at reasonably cheap cafe * 365 = $3,650.00

You can always save money on anything by buying the worst thing out there. 

superiorlobe

« Reply #189 on: November 08, 2004, 10:25:13 AM »
Saving Money on Dinner

$0.15 ramen noodles * 365 = $54.75
$3 frozen dinner * 365 = $1,095.00
$10 eating out at reasonably cheap cafe * 365 = $3,650.00

You can always save money on anything by buying the worst thing out there. 

$10 eating out at cheap cafe ?!?!? ???

are you out of your mind. ???

you can just boil some rice for dinner and it will cost you less than $0.25 per day.