Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Do you really want to go to law school?  (Read 12242 times)

futurejd20

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Do you really want to go to law school?
« Reply #160 on: November 06, 2004, 02:46:36 PM »
Don't to BIGLAW and you will be OK with your cheap suits.

Verbosity

• Sr. Citizen
    • ICQ Messenger - 117686925
    • MSN Messenger - Pikeman85@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Pikeman852003
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #161 on: November 06, 2004, 04:30:49 PM »
I don't see how a thrift store suit that was originally sold by a top end company and donated to say, good will, is a bad thing to get. Does the quality REALLY go down the shitter after only a couple of years?
Mr. Verbosity!

Ninja

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: November 06, 2004, 04:36:18 PM »
I don't see how a thrift store suit that was originally sold by a top end company and donated to say, good will, is a bad thing to get. Does the quality REALLY go down the shitter after only a couple of years?

Yes.

Also, lawyers often will pick-up their clients and drive them to court.  It might be frowned upon to have them ride on the handlebars.

Verbosity

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #163 on: November 06, 2004, 04:45:40 PM »
I never said I'd never get a car. I'm not so cheap to not buy something when it is necessary. Was there ever a point I said I wouldn't have a car? I won't ever buy a new one if I can help it, of course, because of the high depreciation rates in the first couple of years. But there is nothing wrong with trying to save absolutely as much money as you can.
Mr. Verbosity!

Laura

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 06, 2004, 05:24:48 PM »
What if you saved up a million bucks?  You don't have kids so they can't inherit it.  Then you die.  What's the point of all the saving and scrimping?  Just because spending makes you feel anxious?

futurejd20

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #165 on: November 06, 2004, 05:39:01 PM »
Back to the argument about whether or not to attend law school....

I don't think that law school is really as hard as people on this forum keep on saying. Most people on this forum seem to be super over-achievers who want to finish near the top of their class and want to go into BIGLAW (at least to start). Personally, I know I want to work at either a small or medium-sized firm until I can get my own practice going, so doing REALLY well and over-achieving is not something that I will need to do. In fact, I would never even consider going near BIGLAW at this point.

I'm not expecting a 100-125 k salary (even here in CA despite the COL), just something pretty nice to start, and I sure as hell don't intend on studying 24-7 and be super stressed out/competitive at my Tier 2 school to achieve what I want. I plan on doing pretty well and trying my best, but I will not work my ass off to death for a BIGLAW job.

Verbosity

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #166 on: November 06, 2004, 05:41:20 PM »
I'd like to save money so I can retire early. Donate money to people. I want to have the choice to never work again during my lifetime if I so desire.

I may save up a great deal of money and run for political office. But I really see no reason to spend money on something not needed.
Mr. Verbosity!

Cletus

« Reply #167 on: November 06, 2004, 05:43:20 PM »
I'm going because I've heard you can get lots of drugs in law school--glue crank pot reds blues prozac ritalin..I'm sure there are others, but those are the drugs that I go with first.

Verbosity

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #168 on: November 06, 2004, 06:01:02 PM »
Bleh. I can't understand why anyone would do drugs. (I realize you are probably joking)
Mr. Verbosity!

Cletus

« Reply #169 on: November 06, 2004, 06:02:35 PM »
I do drugs to escape the horrible reality of law school, or that's the plan. I do drugs now to escape the horrible prospect of going to law school.

Bleh. I can't understand why anyone would do drugs. (I realize you are probably joking)