Law School Discussion

Do you really want to go to law school?

desmo

• View Profile
Re: Do you really want to go to law school?
« Reply #150 on: November 06, 2004, 02:20:46 AM »
see what I mean, you can't get this naivety on tv...

« Reply #151 on: November 06, 2004, 02:36:02 AM »
I have acknowledged my naviety multiple times and fully expect reality will indeed kick my ass when I truly enter it.

It should be fun!

Laura

« Reply #152 on: November 06, 2004, 10:08:02 AM »
Why would I be kidding?

I don't need some sort of hand-made italian suit for $3000.

If I can get a decent suit for $100, so much the better.

If I can get a decent suit for $15, then I have saved that much more.

Really, the thrift store suits look rather nice. I'd like to buy one, and I may actually splurge on one, as I don't have a full suit as of right now.

I respect--although simultaneously cringe at--your frugality, but this suit proposition is ridiculous.  First of all, since when can you get a suit at a thrift store for $15?  My town's thrift stores charges that much for a women's blouse. 

There is no way you will wear a thrift store suit after law school. Mark my words.  If I offered to bet you $20 that you would not wear a thrift store suit, would you accept?  And if you lost the bet, from which part of your budget would you deduct the $20?

alibami_z

• Law school?
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 06, 2004, 10:32:24 AM »
Why would I be kidding?

I don't need some sort of hand-made italian suit for $3000.

If I can get a decent suit for $100, so much the better.

If I can get a decent suit for $15, then I have saved that much more.

Really, the thrift store suits look rather nice. I'd like to buy one, and I may actually splurge on one, as I don't have a full suit as of right now.

Let's just say that you could find a quality suit for $15.  Where are you going to get your ties?  Just a little dose of reality for you...

Ties are a necessity in the business world.  Ties have a lifespan.  You only get to tie a tie so many times before it looks used.  I have to buy my husband new ties every year and each one is $25-$40.  You also can't wear the same tie every day.  People will notice.  My husband has a full rack with ties being added and subtracted all the time. You do the math.

You may be able to drive a crappy car, but don't wear crappy ties.

« Reply #154 on: November 06, 2004, 10:57:20 AM »
I think that paying off a loan from lawschool in 2-3 years is possible, but a quite bad idea.
 It makes much more sense imo to pay it off in 5 years, but live a little better.

Your heart/nervous system will thank you.

AaronJ

« Reply #155 on: November 06, 2004, 11:00:23 AM »
If you can get it all done in one shot, I say do it.  The sooneer you are out of debt the better.

Ninja

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: November 06, 2004, 11:31:25 AM »
I have acknowledged my naviety multiple times and fully expect reality will indeed kick my ass when I truly enter it.

It should be fun!

This dude is sweet.  For being so frugal, I'm surprised you would even consider dropping 150K on law school.

« Reply #157 on: November 06, 2004, 11:57:25 AM »
My thrift store has everything for around 15-20 dollars. If it won't fly and looks like *&^%, I won't buy it and I'll cough up the money for a more expensive suit. But I checked it out and my local thrift store does have suit coats and pants for around 10 dollars, and then about 5 dollars more, total, for shirt and tie.

As for my education, that is one area where I am willing to spend anything necessary to obtain it. I feel being educated is the most important thing in society. Far more important than money or frugality. The only other area I'd probably say that I am not frugal is saving my life, or that of a close relative. I'll spend whatever it costs.

So there are circumstances in which I'll spend money like crazy. But not very many of them.

desi

« Reply #158 on: November 06, 2004, 12:18:21 PM »
verbosity - you do realize how superficial this profession can be?  Don't get a $15 suit at a thrift store.  A decent suit will only cost you $500, max $1000.  save the $3k *&^% for when you land a job.  On another note, if you don't have a car, then you better tell them in an interview that you DO have one, even if you're interviewing in NY and will, like everyone else, be taking the subway to work.

« Reply #159 on: November 06, 2004, 12:46:36 PM »
Don't to BIGLAW and you will be OK with your cheap suits.