Law School Discussion

Do I have enough time?

Do I have enough time?
« on: April 06, 2004, 09:25:17 AM »
Hey guys,

I am planning on taking the June 14th LSAT... but I haven't even really started yet.  Do you think from now to then is an adequate amount of time to prepare?  I've been thinking of using the Master LSAT Kolby book as well as buying the "Next 10 tests" from LSAC when they come out April 30th.  How many hours a day do I need do you think?  I would like to get mid 160s, because my gpa is only 3.4 and I want to get into American, or maybe even GMU or higher in the DC area.

Thanks.

Jan

Re: Do I have enough time?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2004, 09:35:59 AM »

You might want to try taking old LSATs (the real ones) and seeing how you do.  If you do well then you probably don't need a lot of time to prepare.  I found that those tests were very accurate when I took them timed.  I averaged a 168, which is exactly what I got when I took the LSAT for real.  I also found that they were the best way to study (for me, anyways).  Goood luck!   :)

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2004, 09:43:33 AM »
Yes, you definately do.  Most prep courses for this test are starting around this time :)

GOOD LUCK!!

nathanielmark

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2004, 09:55:38 AM »
Welcome to the club.  you have plenty of time.  I started in late january and have put in maybe 1 hour per day.  i feel like i could take the test within a couple weeks if i had to, i would just want to pick up the pace for the last 2 weeks and really just immerse myself in LSAT for that time.

identify your weaknesses and get whatever prep resources you need to work on them.  for me it was games, and i bought the LG Bible which has helped tremendously.  i would also take as many timed actual LSAT sections as you can stand.  this will help you to complete the RC and LR sections on time, and will give you a sense of how to get the most out of the LG section.

my RC and LR sections were strong from the getgo, i have only seen an improvement in timing, and every once in a while i may get a question right now that i would have missed earlier.  but overall, i probably average 8 wrong between tbese 3 sections, so i don't have very much room to improve.  games were entirely different. they were a real weakness and it took me 1 run thru the LG Bible and 10 actual timed games sections to get to a point where I think I may be getting somewhat good at them.

i will have taken about 40 actual LSATs by the time i take the test in jume.  have about 14 done so far...I have also been going back and redoing games sections. This has helped me considerably as many of the tricks to the games are similar in nature and by redoing games you really internalize the logic of them.

I don't want to count my chickens, so to speak, but it seems like my average score has jumped about 7 points so far.  most of this is due to my games performance.  i have also noticed i am getting much faster with the games (without trying to rush).  i still take each section with a goal of 3 complete games, but have found myself hitting a 4th with 5 or 6 minutes left.  i also think my short term memory may be getting better from the practice as i am losing some of the fogginess i used to have in jumping back and forth between the rules. I have been told by several people, inlcuding the instructor that I had at Kaplan that games is the 1 section you can make the biggest improvement on.  that seems to be the case for me so far.

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2004, 12:49:36 AM »
Yes, I agree...take a practice test under the conditions to see where you are at. If you are no where near you want to be...you should really get crackin and be diligent and most of all committed...the classes either have started or will be starting soon.

If you are around the vicinity of your desired score...that's great...but it doesn't hurt to study to get an even higher score.

good luck and happy studying (ha)  ;D

ruskiegirl

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2004, 09:34:02 PM »
I would encourage you to wait till the October administration.  I began my prep course in May, thinking that it would be perfect timing for the June LSAT. I did nothing but study and go to my classes for that entire month. I felt pressed for time and became so stressed out that I had a nervous breakdown and locked myself in my room for two days crying.  I don't think everyone is quite the drama queen I am, but I do think that two months is probably pushing it just a little. :P

zpops

• Going to NYU in the fall! 3.99/175
    • AOL Instant Messenger - zp0ps
    • View Profile
    • The Digital Rant
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2004, 10:35:06 PM »
The first thing you have to realize is that you won't do as much as you plan on doing.  You have enough time to take every test ever administered, but if you do then you'll be so burned out that you won't do well on the one test that counts.  For the June test, I'd start with one full test every 2 weeks, until you're done with school.  Also read a book of strats.  Once your break starts, I presume you'll have a solid month to work, and that's all I'd really reccomend.  You'll know what areas you need to work on, from taking the practice tests now, and then you can start ofcusing on problem areas, and take a break from real tests.  During this week, I'd do another strat book, you can try out new strats to replace the ones that don't work for you from the first book.  After about a week of targetted study, I'd start on full tests again, getting taking more current tests as the test grows nearer.  Try not to get discouraged on the newer tests, because they're MUCH harder than the older tests, which is why you don't want to start them, till you have basic strats down.  This was basically the program I used (I took the kaplan course, but it wasn't useful for anything more than practice questions and timed tests. . .) and I went from a 167 (first practice test) to a 175. 

Also, and this is the best hint I can give, you MUST practice the dead logic games questions.  They're coming back with a vengence, and I know that personally, I could have gotten a 178-80 if I'd practiced round table games. . .  Good luck, and try not to stress out too much (I know it's hard not to. . .)

jas9999

• Actual Law Student
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2004, 10:11:15 AM »
I know that personally, I could have gotten a 178-80 if I'd practiced round table games. . .

october '03, no? i would have had a 172/3 if i had done as well on that one game as i did the others...

nathanielmark

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2004, 10:30:49 AM »
ZPOPS,

you say not to get discouraged if you dont do well on newer tests, but this makes little sense since presumably, the test you will take will be a "newer test".

i have found my games score took a ridiculous jump when i moved from 10 More LSats to 10 Actual LSATs.  i have the most recent exams, but am saving them for the weeks leading up to the test. 

should i expect the newer games sections to be more similar to 10 More or 10 Actual?  I would think if they are bringing back old games, they would be more similar to 10 Actual, but maybe they are a hybrid now?

I certainly wont complain if i get a pattern or pure sequencing game, as i find those to be the easiest.

Im just trying to figure out the truth of the matter, since everyone has been saying the old LSATs are harder, but i have found that to be untrue so far.  if the newer ones are truly harder, will the score scale shift to accomodate this fact?

zpops

• Going to NYU in the fall! 3.99/175
    • AOL Instant Messenger - zp0ps
    • View Profile
    • The Digital Rant
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2004, 11:00:08 AM »
I meant not to get discouraged when you first make the switch.  I think it's a given that someone who's only taken tests up to say 25, then jumps to 35 (imo hardest test) will lose at least a point or two.  But once you work with the newer games sections, you get into the swing of them, and everything is fine. 
     And yes, the score scale has shifted in recent years.  It's common for as many as 4 wrong asnwers to still get you a 180, depending on the test.  When I took it, 3 wrong was a 180!  I got 7 wrong for my 175, which was not my highest raw score by a long shot, but was still my highest scaled score.

Jas - that game sucked didn't it?  It was unfair imo to make a non-traditional game have 7 questions.  You guys should really hit the books on the "dead" games, since it'll give you a real advantage over other testers.