Law School Discussion

-

Lipper316

Re: Chicago and New York Schools, which should I chose?
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2004, 10:15:54 PM »
now that everyone is through conveying their knowledge on what constitutes being a URM.....back to the question.

I wouldn't look at only brookyln and NYLS. You are in at nyls.....a reach because of ur gpa at brooklyn. look at also Pace, they place very well in the city. Another reach would be cardozo. Hofstra grads also aren't complaining about finding work.....albeit on the island.

pointdexterish

• 95% there
    • View Profile
    • Juris Novus
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2004, 11:23:19 AM »
Pointdexterish, do you think Loyola would be impossible or just a reach? Since these schools aren't my top choices, I wouldn't mind reaching... the higher ranking would give me an incentive to attend the school if I actually make it. I have my safety schools so I was looking for schools I would love to go but wouldn't be disappointed if I got rejected. =X

Loyola is definately not impossible, just a bit iffy with the GPA.  Your LSAT is right there, just get your two essays done and maybe an additional adendum?  I got my materials in (finally!) for Loyola this past Monday.  Feels good to be done with it all.  Loyola Chicago is my first choice at this point, best of luck and hopefully see you in the fall!

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2004, 01:02:35 PM »
One of my good friends is a 1L at NYLS and he seems to really love it.  It seems to place well in the city and it's worth mentioning that it's got a great location down in Tribeca.  This is just personal preference, but I'd definitely pick NYLS over Rutgers even though Rutgers has a higher ranking.  Newark is not the nicest of places and it's not really all that close to NYC either- about 40 min. by train- so it'd be a bit of a trek to get into the city.  I know lots of New York firms recruit at Rutgers but, really, unless you want to be in Jersey for some reason, go to NYLS- I'd imagine you'll have just as many (if not more) options for jobs in the city after graduating.  However, COL in Newark is way cheaper than Manhattan, so that might be something to consider.

I think Brooklyn would be the best of the three, but it would probably be the biggest reach, too.  I bet you've got a good chance, though, so give it a shot and maybe put in an application at Cardozo, too.   

shadowcreeper

• LSD Cheerleader
    • View Profile
    • law school hopeful
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2004, 02:56:24 PM »
Newark is not the nicest of places and it's not really all that close to NYC either- about 40 min. by train- so it'd be a bit of a trek to get into the city.

There is no way that it takes 40 minutes to get into NYC from Newark by train. The PATH would be a 20 minute ride tops. If I take the train from where I live at the Jersey shore it takes about an hour or so to get into NY. However, I grew up in Newark and I agree it is not the safest place to live, but if you are not stupid and you do not put yourself into any unsafe situations you will be fine.

Also, I visited NYLS and I agree it is in a really nice area of NY.

liberty shark

• awesome.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - libertyshark
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2004, 01:48:09 PM »
zot zot!

Casper

• Casper, the friendly Ghost.
    • View Profile
    • DANY
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2004, 01:55:54 PM »
NYLS is a third tier toilet lschool.  ;) They have been on the decline, compared to the 80s.  The only good thing is that it's located in downtown manhattan, several blocks from the courthouse (state and federal).  When I'd spoke to NYLS at lsac forum, they'd played that up a bit.

HTH

kd

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2004, 01:51:17 PM »
It sucks that the Chicago schools drop from Chicago/NW all the way to Loyola/Kent.

I wish that there was an "in-between" there.

Me too!
But I feel that way with all the schools.  There is a huge gap everywhere.  I am looking at Fordham..what are other schools in its range?