- - -

-
« on: November 03, 2004, 07:33:27 PM »
-

pointdexterish

• 95% there
    • View Profile
    • Juris Novus
Re: Chicago and New York Schools, which should I chose?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2004, 08:11:30 PM »
I know a bit about Chicago schools.

Loyola will be a reach with your low GPA, even with your URM status.

DePaul and Kent are reasonable, but not safties.  Your LSAT makes up for your GPA and I know that DePaul and Kent both put an emphasis on URM status.

HTH!

dr_draino

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2004, 08:17:32 PM »
for the record, chinese female does not equal URM

pointdexterish

• 95% there
    • View Profile
    • Juris Novus
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2004, 08:23:20 PM »
Where do you get this information?

dr_draino

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2004, 08:30:07 PM »
Where do you get this information?

Asians are not URM.  They are minority, but in terms of URM status, there is a higher percentage of asians in law school than there are in the general population.  This is the definition of URM, hence the "under-represented" part.  I've seen this in reference to asians about a million times on this board and elsewhere.

Everyman

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2004, 09:31:34 PM »
It sucks that the Chicago schools drop from Chicago/NW all the way to Loyola/Kent.

I wish that there was an "in-between" there.

amelus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2004, 09:38:08 PM »
Asians are not URM.  They are minority, but in terms of URM status, there is a higher percentage of asians in law school than there are in the general population.  This is the definition of URM, hence the "under-represented" part.  I've seen this in reference to asians about a million times on this board and elsewhere.

factually of course you are right.  however, it does seem they are counted for diversity purposes (e.g. us news & world report) as minorities unlike some other minorities.  this could of course be a middle ground where some minorities not counted as URM but qualify for diversity purposes as minorities whereas other minorities simply dont qualify as minorities for diversity purposes at all.  (or it could mean colleges look to accept asian-americans for diversity purposes and find it synon. (or nearly so) with urm).

dr_draino

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2004, 09:40:19 PM »
"diversity" and URM are very different, with URM carrying a lot of weight and diversity carrying a little.  You will certainly be able to add some diversity as a first gen., but as a female...I believe that white females actually make up a larger part of the applicant pool than w/m, but I could be wrong on that.

amelus

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2004, 09:46:15 PM »
"diversity" and URM are very different, with URM carrying a lot of weight and diversity carrying a little. You will certainly be able to add some diversity as a first gen., but as a female...I believe that white females actually make up a larger part of the applicant pool than w/m, but I could be wrong on that.

i'm in no way challenging, simply curious.  so you're saying that asian-americans dont really get much of a boost since only div. consideration for them?  and if so, how do you know they dont get a good boost? (not to imply at all that any group needs it, simply wondering what those ad. comm. ppl thinking when looking at apps based on urm/div info)

again, i dont know much on this issue, but if us news and world report counts a certian group for their diversity index (asians a big part of that for many schools) and every LS as we know is obs. w/ their ranking, then i'd imagine it should play at least a somewhat significant role (yea, pretty much could be semantics here, just think seems like it plays more than the "little" role you describe)

dr_draino

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2004, 10:05:12 PM »
Use of URM and diversity are two distinctly seperate considerations.  My info is coming from having read tons of topics on here about URM status and from flipping through some of the "how to get into law school books" in bookstores...not sure which ones.  But mostly from reading about it way too much for a white guy on this board. 

As far as the female thing, I've seen that mentioned here a few times and have noticed that MANY of the schools I looked at had more females than males...but I'm not certain on that one.  The URM status of asians has been talked about extensively though, and they definitely don't get the typical ~10 point LSAT bump that many URM applicants get.